XLIV

My Christmas List: December 20th
Make Heidi magically go away and non-violently at that.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

My dark eyes watched the levels descend on the digital elevator panel, anxiously playing with my hands.

Why am I nervous?

I laughed internally, honestly when am I never nervous? At least when it comes to her.

I smoothed down the short black skirt clinging to my long legs that were covered in tinted black stockings.

Oddly enough, I found myself venturing into wearing more black.

My lace top was black and the fur coat draped over my shoulders was black... To say it was odd would be putting it lightly. I knew it was the influence of being around Armani.

I let out a relieved breath when the elevator stopped a few floors up from my destination—giving me more time to collect myself.

It's not a big deal. Stop making it a big deal.

My eyes flickered over to the shiny doors that slid open, revealing Heidi. Just my luck.

I awkwardly distributed my weight onto my left leg, crossing my right ankle over the other.

Heidi's silence was a clear indication that she knew something, which I hoped wouldn't compromise our partnership.

"It won't last," I heard her say, but the mere statement was so faint it made me question if I hallucinated the entire thing.

I kept my eyes locked on the panel, "I'm sorry did you say something?"

She definitely said something but I wanted to be assured that I didn't mishear her.

Heidi turned her head, allowing her brown eyes to burn into the side of my face, "It won't last," she repeated, but this time her tone was stronger. "Ani has been with plenty of women, trust me, you aren't special."

I furrowed my brows, turning to face her, but when the elevator inevitably dinged, I snapped my attention to the doors sliding open.

Even though Armani looked as immaculate as ever—wearing her usual black turtleneck, black slacks, and shiny black loafers—Heidi's odd statement was lingering in my heavy head.

It didn't bother me, but it was definitely weird.

I watched as Armani's eyes narrowed at Heidi as she stepped off of the elevator. I could sense the irritation lingering behind her dark eyes.

"Hi Ani," Heidi greeted, patting Armani's shoulder as she walked past her.

Armani's jaw briefly tensed, but untensed when her attention was reflected back to me. She nodded her head, motioning me to step off the elevator.

I pursed my lips and complied, exiting the elevator completely.

Silence lingered amongst my black Chanel heels clicking as she guided us out to the front of the estate where I noticed she had a car waiting.