II

My Christmas List: December 2nd
Let me choose the correct coffee.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

The quaint local coffee shop was busier than I'd ever seen it—and it was how I knew the holiday frenzy was spreading like the plague. Every customer in front of me ordered their coffee with either peppermint, sugar cookie, or gingerbread flavoring. If it wasn't that, then it was a hot chocolate in one of the Christmas-themed to-go cups.

When I made it up to the register I felt my brain grow fuzzy, I knew what I wanted but I suppose I'd have to take a wild guess regarding what my client would want.

"I'll have... a vanilla latte," I said, and the woman smiled politely tapping the screen. "And what would you say is the most common or versatile coffee order?" I asked, hoping to get something that wouldn't fuck up my first day with my new client.

The woman pursed her lips in thought, "Probably an Americano or maybe a cappuccino."

I nodded quickly. "I'll take a cappuccino please."

The woman tapped her screen with a smile, nodding to herself. "That'll be nine dollars even."

I reached into my wallet, grabbing my card just as my phone began buzzing. I handed the woman my card with a smile, sliding my thumb over my phone screen to answer the call that displayed my closest friend and colleague's name, Olivia.

"Liv, Hi," I greeted, grabbing my card back from the woman who displayed me one last smile before I walked over to the waiting area. "You always manage to have impeccable timing."

Olivia's laugh flooded through my phone, "Better than you do apparently," she said, and I could hear her heels clicking in the background. "When were you going to tell me about your new client."

I smiled to myself. "As soon as I saw you."

"As soon as you saw me? Mira, I swear I see you every three days and that's if I'm lucky," she said, pausing for a second as I heard her click a button. She's definitely walking into work. "I swear you're the worst workaholic I've ever met."

I laughed. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"Seriously don't run yourself into the ground. You already do so much and I know this will only add to the stress," she said, and I could imagine her light brows furrowed, her blue eyes holding a look of concern as she stressfully ran her hand through her long blonde hair.

"You don't have to worry about me Liv."

"If I don't who will?" she asked and I nodded. Fair point. "Your gift from me for Christmas is me picking up your small projects that Ms. Fontana handed down to me."

I laughed through my nose. "That's more like a gift to you. You love the small projects."

"Yeah-yeah, I still needed to give you hell about it though," she said.

"Mira!" one of the workers called sliding the two warm drinks across the counter. I grabbed one of the styrofoam cup holders, securing the two drinks in it.

"I'll text you Liv, I'm about to head over to the client's house," I said, pressing my shoulder to my phone to help hold it up.

"Okay, good luck I know you'll rock it. I swear everyone loves you," she said as I exited the warm coffee shop into the cold brittle Chicago air, unlocking my matte black Range Rover.

"Thanks Liv, talk soon," I said.

"Talk soon," she repeated, ending the call as I slid into my SUV's soft leather seats.