17. In The Forest

My heart drops, as my mouth goes dry

"What are you doing here?" I call out.

The voice is one I will never forget no matter the amount of time.

"It's been over ten years." Valin steps to where the sun is shining on him through the leaves of the trees.

He has barely changed at all. Very often do I dream of him, of our one night tonight and see his face, hear his voice, or even believe I could smell his cologne again.

The only reason anger faded was because I have my son due to Valin.

Although, the pain is now back the same force I felt the very night after our sex on the library roof top. Words of 'weak' and 'reject' are on repeat in my mind.

In the next moment, I put up a blank expression. Valin has no right to possibly even get a glimpse on how I may be feeling or have felt. He never had to act like such an ass immediately after sex. I was no stranger to one night stands but he didn't have to get down right mean, cold or weird about it all. Sure, I never felt such a connection before and I know for a fact he could feel it too during our intimate time but it left me confused and heartbroken which is also a strange feeling when I didn't know him at all.

Here I was with Frank for a year and I never felt no where near the hurt or pain that Valin caused.

Unknowingly, I moved around Fido's wolf form and now standing in front of him. This is not a battle my son has to fight for me.

"What are you doing in the forest? I have not see you out here before." I state in a bored tone.

Valin smirks. "Just out for a stroll. I got done with work early and wanted to burn some steam."

I slowly move my legs to back up which isn't much to make my son hide in the bushes while still shifted.

"You shouldn't be out here all alone." Valin states.

"Why is that?" I say with some anger and sass.

"There are wild animals out here that could hurt a small thing like you."

With a huff, I shake my head. "I am not a 'weak' thing like you have thought I was." Using my fingers to throw the one of two words that circle in my head from him.

His smirk falls and the cockiness is completely gone.

I have nothing left to say and I want to get Seth and Fido back home. My chest feels like it is tearing in two. I'm literally being torn the longer I look at him as an internal battle wages inside me as I really want to feel his touch again just to see if the tingles are still there and smell him but at the same time his words are repeating in my mind to which I never have understood.

"I am sorry Fayla." Valin's voice is even deeper with the lower tone.

Shivers want to run up my spine at the sound but I keep them back.