19. Broken noses and the date

They were fucking everywhere. Kate felt as if she couldn't escape the happy couple. On a walk, they'd be cozy in a corridor. So she'd escape to the common room, they'd come in and sit by the fire. Moving to the dorm, Lily would come in and start to talk about James. Lily would bring him to the library, it made her want to rip her hair out. Kate had finally found solitude in a place she'd never expected. The quidditch stands. Turns out it's not a very frequently used part of the castle apart from practice.
Spring at Hogwarts was still pretty chilly, being so high up north. Kate had just gotten into her book when the Hufflepuff barrelled onto the field.
"Yo, Gryffindor. Off the field." The captain shouted.
Kate didn't even say anything and just stuck up a middle finger.

Kate continued to just read her book. She couldn't give a flying fuck about quidditch or whatever their schemes were to win. She heard footsteps walking towards her sat on the bench.
"You've got to go." The most agitating voice she could have thought to hear washed through her ears.
Amos. Diggory.
"I don't think I have to." Kate snarked at him.
"You might expose our plays." He smirked.
"Because they've worked so well for your team so far. Haven't you lost, every. single. game?" Kate pouted.
"Bitch." He muttered as he started to walk away.
Kate snapped her book shut. She wasn't in the mood to put up with any ones bullshit today.
"What the fuck did you just say?" Kate shouted after him.
"I called you a bitch." He replied.
"Don't get touchy because you're shit at quidditch." Kate smiled at him sweetly and bit her lip.
"Are you on your period?"
"Do you even understand how sexist that is?" Kate stared at him in disbelief.
"Don't be upset because James left you for my sloppy seconds." He said.
Kate scoffed at that.
"Lily is no one's 'sloppy seconds'. You were intimidated by her intelligence and had to go for a girl that can't actually challenge you intellectually." Kate skunked her bag over her shoulder and shoved passed him.
"I know you miss me." He'd said smugly as Kate walked a few steps away.
Kate just flipped him off again.
"Bitch."

Now Kate had had enough of his shit.
She turned round and marched back to him and socked him in the nose, leaving him clutching it and blood running down his face.
"Go fuck yourself."

-

Kate slammed the door as she angrily came back into the dorm.
"Whoa. Why are you so mad?" Dorcas asked as Kate threw her bag down hard.
"I just punched Diggory in the face." Kate explained. "I think I broke his nose."
"What?" Marlene asked with a huge smile on her face.
"He said some things about Lily, so I punched him in the face." Kate explained.
"What did he say?" Lily asked.
"He said you were his 'sloppy seconds'." Kate huffed out her face still flushed red from the moment.
"Proud of you." Marlene shrugged happily and blew a kiss at Kate.

The girls spent the rest of the afternoon doing each other's hair, face masks, painting nails and doing makeup to give each other's makeovers.
It was relaxing and nice to spend some time together that didn't involve drama or boys was great. Just talking about schoolwork, and plans for the summer.

Kate's adrenaline however was still pumping and decided she should walk it off.
Walking through the corridors Kate had walked past Amos with tape over his nose, having obviously gone to the hospital wing and she had to hold off laughing her ass off.
Then she walked into the one person she had been avoiding for weeks.
"Hi Kate." James said stopping her in her tracks. "I heard something interesting earlier."
"Really what?" Kate asked, feigning innocence.
"Amos Diggory has a broken nose. And I know someone with an awesome right hook." He smirked.
"I don't have a single idea what you are talking about." Kate smiled back, immediately falling back into old habits. She caught herself then. "I'm- uh -going to go now." Kate pointed over his shoulder and gave him a small smile before quickly scurrying away from him.
Seeing and talking to him had just made everything that had happend in the past couple weeks hurt more. He looked so much happier with Lily, had he not felt anything during their months long spiel. What about the kisses when no one was around.
The snogging in his dorm.
Had he truly felt nothing?

-

The next Hogsmeade trip was dull for Kate. Lily had gone with James, Alice with Frank, Dorcas and Marlene had invited her but standing in between their sexual tension would be incredibly frustrating.
And that's how Kate found herself stood in the middle of the street in the village pondering what to do next.
Already having gone into honeydukes and getting some blood pops and fudge, Kate stood sucking on a pop, staining her lips and tongue red. Leaning on the wall, she spotted the hair salon.
Maybe it was time for a haircut.

A haircut was a symbol that a person had moved on with their life. Kate had decided that if she cuts her hair maybe she could convince herself she had gotten over James.
The small bell rang as she walked into the salon and asked the witch at the counter.
"Do you have any free appointments?" Kate smiled.
"I don't see why not honey." The hairdresser said and led her to a chair in the salon.

Kate was explaining what she wanted to the hairdresser when she saw Lily and James walk past the window and her face dropped.
"I know exactly what to do for you."

-

James couldn't believe that after seven years he'd finally got Lily Evans to go on a date with him. They'd done all of the date things, held hands as they wandered through the streets, he'd bought her some chocolate from honeydukes, he'd even endured the hellish place of Madem puddifoots, however they had both agreed that Kates baking was better. The pink bubbly aroma was horrific, surrounded with giggling couples and the overpowering sweet smell was giving him a headache.

James found himself drifting off during their conversations, Lily was interesting, she talked about school, and exams and school and then more about exams, then a little about her friends, then back to school. He was sure she hadn't even laughed at anything he'd said the entire time.
James had convinced Lily to go the three broomsticks to get a drink.
"What do you want to drink?" James asked as he pulled out the chair for her.
"Can I have a goblet of pumpkin juice please?" She asked with a smile.
"Coming up." He said and went to order them.

He slid the goblet across the table towards Lily.
"What are you doing tomorrow?" He asked.
"Me and Alice are going to study in the Library." She said and James couldn't figure out why he was feeling the way he was. Bored. Maybe the nerves of being sat here with the Lily Evans meant that he couldn't form interesting conversation.
"Are you going to come to the quidditch game on Saturday?" He asked her. "It's against Slytherin, they're our biggest competitor for the cup."
"Yea, I'll definitely be there." She smiled.
"Sorry, I'm really nervous, so my conversation is lacking." James sipped his drink.
"It's ok."

For the rest of the date James felt as if he was falling asleep. Lily had felt the same way. She was bored, leaning on her chin, he didn't provide any stimulating conversation so finally deciding it was time to head back to the castle.

As soon as they parted ways, Lily rushed up to the dorm to tell the girls everything that had happened on the date.
"How was your date!" Marlene asked as Lily opened the door. "And Kate got her hair cut."
Lily looked over to Kate. "It looks nice."
"Thanks!" Kate smiled but was anxious to hear about the date.
"The date was." Lily paused. "So boring."
"Awh, Lils. He was most likely just nervous, he's been in love with you for seven years." Alice said and rubbed her shoulder.
"Yea, he was probably shitting bricks." Kate swallowed hating the conversation.
"Yea, he's just got to get used to actually dating you. He's most likely still in shock." Dorcas giggled.
"So it'll get better is what you're saying?" Lily asked hopefully.
"Definitely, he's just got to learn more about you." Kate said before lying down to sleep.

-
an/ sorry for lack of consistent updates
my disability got worse so i've been very tired.
aiming to get another chapter out before i sleep today.