Chapter 29

"Let me see your hand," Tristan urged softly, unballing my hand so he could get a better look at the cut.

His touch was gentle, his voice soothing, and his gaze soft. "If you wanted to know where I was, then why didn't you just call me?"

"You took my phone, remember?"

"Right," he muttered. Pouring the hydrogen peroxide onto a cotton ball he grabbed from out of the first aid kit, he looked up at me. "This is going to sting. Take a deep breath for me."

I inhaled, my lungs expanding. Exhaling slowly, I bit my lower lip to keep from hissing in pain. I watched him proceed to gently dab and clean my wound.

When he was finished, he quickly bandaged my hand before bringing it up to his mouth and planting a sweet kiss on my palm.

"Better?"

"Mhm," I hummed, liking this sweet, nurturing side of him.

He released my hand, throwing the cotton ball away and putting everything else back into the first aid kit.

"No more guns or knives, okay?"

I shouldn't be questioning how nice he's been acting towards me since he got back, but I can't help it. I'm just so used to him being so damn grumpy all the time.

"I'm not having sex with you, so you can drop the act."

He rolled his eyes, the gesture way sexier than it needed to be. "I'm not acting, mia cara(my dear)." His voice dropped an octave, worry laced in his tone. "You have no idea how scared I am of losing you- of losing our family."

Tristan, scared?

That's impossible, because the Tristan I know isn't afraid of anything. Or at least that's what I always thought.

With this new revelation, it all began to make sense. It explained his controlling behavior and need to keep us in his eyesight. But just because he's afraid doesn't mean you can hold someone hostage and treat them like shit.

From the look on his face, he knows that. It's just that then, he didn't care. But it seems he may now. "I'm sorry," he murmured.

What?

I brought my hand up to his forehead, checking his temperature. "Are you feeling okay?"

Pulling my hand away from his face, he frowned. "I'm trying to apologize and you're joking around."

I couldn't stop the smile forming on my lips. "There's the cold Tristan I'm used to."

He sighed in annoyance. "You clearly enjoy pissing me off."

"Just a little bit," I admitted.

We were in the midst of a staring contest, the sexual tension between us more obvious than it's ever been. The moment was short-lived, Mateo's cries filling our ears. I broke eye contact, readying to go grab him. 

Tristan shook his head. "I'll get him."

Watching him leave and return with Mateo in his arms brought up a kind of feeling that warmed my insides and a smile to spread onto my face. It's a feeling that always appears whenever Tristan is with our son.

He sat down on the stool, lightly bouncing Mateo on his knee. There's just something about a man with a baby in their arms. I shouldn't feel so aroused considering he's currently holding Mateo, but my panties are damp as hell right now.

"So you're staying the night?"

"I can't. I have somewhere I need to be."

Everytime he says that I'm met with feelings of anger. Because everytime he leaves, I have no idea what he's doing. For all I know, he could be out killing someone, and then coming back to feed and hold our son.

I didn't want him to go, which was a surprise to me. Especially when all I've done is try to get as far away from him as possible.

"Why? Do you have a tied up victim waiting in the basement to be tortured and killed or something?"

Tristan noticed the anger in my tone, using the sleeve of his dress shirt to wipe away the saliva on Mateo's mouth before frowning up at me. "Don't worry about it."

I rolled my eyes, walking around the Island and heading back to my bedroom. "I'm going to bed."

"Sienna."

I pivoted, frowning back at him. "What?"

"You can be mad at me all you want, but what I do out there will never interfere with my role as a father to my son."

"You freaking kill people and God knows what else!" I snapped, drawing in the attention of a few of the guys. "How am I supposed to be okay with that?"

"I'm not asking you to be okay with it. I'm just saying that you don't need to worry. When I'm with you and our son, work won't even be mentioned. I will do my absolute best to give you both a normal life."

"And what about your father?"

"I'm handling it. Trust me."

"Trust you?" I repeated incredulously.

"Yes. I won't let anything happen to our family. I put that on the insignia of the Lucci Mafia tatted on my chest."

His hand is over his heart, his cold amber eyes indicating just how serious he was.

I knew it was going to take a lot more than his word for me to trust him, but I definitely believed him. I knew that he would do all he could to protect what was his.

"Now please go get some rest. I'll take care of Mateo."

The attitude in my voice disappeared. "Will I see you tomorrow then?"

"Yeah, I'll be back tomorrow morning. I need you dressed by seven."

"Seven?" I whined. I'm not an early person. I absolutely hate it. If I ever get up early it's because of Mateo or work. "What for?"

"I'm taking you to the gun range. It's time you learn how to protect yourself."

"I already know how to shoot a gun."

"Yes, I know that. Which is why I'm teaching you to kill."

I tensed up at hearing the word, "kill". Even though I shot Tristan with the intention of killing him, I don't actually want to kill anyone. I don't want that on my conscience.

"I'll pass," I said with a shake of my head. I'm not a killer and I don't intend on ever becoming one.

"I'm not asking you, Sienna."

I placed my hands on my hips, putting all my weight on my bent left leg. "What happened to letting me make my own choices?"

"That still hasn't changed. But when it comes to this, you don't have a choice."

Great.