(27) Equally Beautiful and Vicious

The highest mountain towered above me as I looked up. You couldn't actually see the very top, grey clouds and mist swirled around the highest peak. Around us sat small wooden buildings, most were occupied by unappealing bars and taverns, however, some looked like small shops. Quilo now walked beside me, hands in easy reach of his weapons. The smells and suspicious puddles that coated the streets made me gag, far worse than any street in Vauxhaven.

I don't think I saw one person who was not dragging their feet, slurring their words or throwing up in a nearby corner as we passed through. Quilo's lip curled, "I'll be glad when we get out of here". I nodded in agreement, despite the fact we'd only just arrived. I glanced over to a nearby wall, then really wished I hadn't as I saw two people moving together in a frenzy of panting and thrusts. Bile rose in my throat as I again looked down at the street, "ew." Quilo snorted, noting what I had seen, "it's strange to me to think that this is a part of Calvain. It's like a completely different place." From what I knew about Calvain I had to agree. Calvain was supposed to be a land of sprawling green hills, vibrant flowers and beautiful lakes. But this? this was definitely not that.

I sighed, "we need to find somewhere to stay. Then we can come up with a plan and get out of here as quick as possible, or... whatever." I didn't need to add about the fact we still weren't sure if we'd both make it out at all. Quilo glanced at me, his face a mask of neutrality, I knew he understood what I meant. We continued forward through the mountains, passing more shops and bars and a lot more drunk people. The path we walked seemed to just be the mountainside worn down flat with use. occasionally little signs that we were amongst the tall peaks stood out, a freshwater spring or a jagged edge of the rock. Other than that I thought it could be easy to pretend that this was just a normal street until you looked up of course. For some reason, I wondered what it'd be like to climb them, to stand on the top and stare down at the land. Feel the wind in my hair and across my face. I often considered what it'd be like to have wings, to be able to fly anywhere you wanted to go. To feel completely and utterly free as I soared over cities and seas.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A little while later we stood before a ramshackle building with a wide balcony that jutted out of the front. As I adjusted my bag straps that clung to my shoulders I read the sign above the door stating that there were rooms available. "I think we should stop here" Quilo advised, the frown on his face saying he wished otherwise. My lip curled but I nodded, understanding we had very little choice.

Stepping inside of the small tavern the smell of smoke, alcohol and other things I really did not want to think about greeted me. The air was so full of smoke you could barely see to the other side of the room, I wasn't sure I wanted to. Dirty brown tables and chairs were scattered around and I made the mistake of touching one, the wood felt sticky as I drew my hand away. "How much for the lass?" a gruff voice called through the smoke. It was only when Quilo's hand found mine did I realise he was talking to Quilo about me. Quilo's lip curled, "she's not for sale." The man approached, his oily skin shining under the light. His dark brown eyes lingered on my chest and hips before he then looked back at Quilo, "I don't mind sharing." Quilo's hand tightened on mine as he snarled, "too bad. I do." We turned towards the bar, The dagger strapped under my cloak was a heavyweight as I felt his gaze on my behind.

More greasy looking men tracked me as we passed, "What are they looking at?" Quilo's eyes glanced around the room, "remember what I said in that dress store? About those assets of yours which you told me not to talk about?" I huffed under my breath, pink creeping into my cheeks as I fought the urge to cover myself. Then a thought hit me, Why was I the one that needed to cover myself? I was the thing that they wanted, the thing that they desired. There was no reason to fear them, I had been trained to deal with men like this. My shoulders lifted a little as I let go of Quilo's hand. Feeling a little mischievous I offered the men around the room a daring little smirk, willing them to take the bait.