(11) A Sword of Fury

I closed James's eyes, I didn't want him to see the person I was about to become. Standing on unnervingly steady legs I gave James one final look. I needed to end this, I needed to help Rosie through this without breaking when I told her. I'd do it alone because no one was there to help her through the pain I know she'd feel. I rolled my shoulders and adjusted my neck like I could shake off the pain. It was now lurking in the shadows, trying to creep forward but I could keep it back for now. This was intended to hurt me, to make me suffer, instead, I will turn the fury into darkness. I looked up at the king of Calvain with tearless eyes and smiled, not a kind smile that I doubted anyone would ever see, but one that promised never-ending pain if he took one step in the wrong direction.

Quilo was looking at me, they all were with very different expressions, his eyes were wide, shocked and I'm guessing it had something to do with the storm drumming in my eyes. There was such anger radiating from him too and I couldn't so much as see it on his face. I could feel it, feel it roiling and curling along my bones. My mother stood there with her hand over her mouth, with no words of remorse. My father was grinning from ear to ear with unfaltering delight, little did he know it was his downfall I was looking forward to the most. He seemed so proud of me, so proud of the hot fury that was brimming under my skin, clawing to get out so now was not the time to let it. "If you touch me you'll..." Quilo's father begins, a slight tremor in his voice. A snarl silences him, one that made me surprised that my anger had not spiked the appearance of those fangs. There was truly nothing I could do to stop the kings but I'd try, or at least I could try to save as many lives as possible. I wanted to scream and shout but I couldn't, not now.

"Listen very closely" I snarled, taking another small step towards Quilo's father, "I am going to get this object for you and I'll even put up with your cowardly son but you will remember me, remember this." I took another step and he backs away slightly so that his back was pressed against the wall. "I am coming for you, for both of you" I add, taking another step. "what are you..." Quilo's father starts but I cut him off with a snarl. "And when your crown falls king" I spit at him, using the title as an insult, "I'll enjoy seeing it on the ground in pieces." "Is that a threat?" Quilo's father grumbles. I look directly into those eyes, now so black I can see my own reflection. My smile was wicked as I whispered, "no. It's a promise" before walking straight out of the room. I hear my father shout "you'll go when we dismiss you" and I laugh, but I was already down the hall.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

James was dead because he stood up for me when no one else did and I'd just stood there, contained. Like a rabbit caught in a snare, perhaps it was time for me to become a wolf. I was getting really fucking sick of it. Of everyone dictating what I wore, what I did, even what I read. I slammed an arm into a nearby wall to steady myself. Tears were shining in my eyes when I reached my room, a bitter laugh rattles my throat when I looked around. Everything was so bright and pretty, so perfect and I was covered in blood. I didn't even know the name of the guard whose blood was on my hands. James's blood was on my hands too. Something was tapping on the inside of my skin now, it felt like panic and rage were taking form. Breath slightly ragged I crouched down to the floor at the end of my bed trying to ground the thrumming and beating of whatever was threatening to burst out. James was dead and I felt no grief, no sadness just hot anger towards the kings. For once it wasn't even aimed at Quilo, all he'd done is hold me back as his father killed my friend. He'd been ordered to hold me and yet he had not fought when I ran to James, he had not been angry when I'd punched him in the face. He'd just sat there, always just sat there and that's why I hated him. He had power and yet he just leaves it alone, not even bothering to stand up to his father for fear of what he might do. I was no one, nothing and yet I'd stood up to the kings and caused them to flinch. The pulsing and tapping were becoming unbearable now, it was filling my head making me want to scream. So I did. It broke through that piercing noise in my head and I didn't care that it burned my throat, the pain was welcomed.