Inner Dilemma

"We need to tell her."

"No."

"We need to find her again."

"No, Skaal, we don't."

"But she's-!"

"Quit it!" Jim rubbed his head. The headache was quickly turning into a migraine as he argued with his wolf constantly. They never argued this much before. Most of the time, their decisions were made together. That was why he was one of the greatest trainers his pack had. And one of the best officers in the city.

And all it took was one woman in glass to pop up out of the blue and everything just fell apart. He hadn't seen her since the day before when he started up a file for her. Those witches would come back, he knew that for sure. He just had to find them before they came to collect the 'prize' they caught before. It was a normal case that he delt with, honestly. There were a lot of kidnaps that involved magic and the supernatural. He got most of his awards from finding the missing people that had been gone for ages. The children were the worst ones that he had to solve. Not only were children small and easy to traffic, there were a lot of evil being that liked using the innocent for rituals or some other form to gain power.

He had seen quite a lot in his time working for the law.

Jim should be looking through the databases for these people right then. He should be starting his search so that he could nab these people while they had their guard down. But he couldn't seem to focus at the moment. Matter of fact, he hadn't been able to focus ever since he met Mrs. Shephard. And he hadn't been able to get much sleep either.

"Jim," Skaal's voice interrupted his thoughts again. "How old are we?"

"I'm not obligated to say," he frowned, trying to bring his burger to his mouth. He decided to check out a small burger joint this time and sit in the empty place. He would rather be in a silent place like this one than in the car with his radio going off. His mind was already buzzing with thoughts as loud as a gunshot. He'd rather not deal with a noisy environment along with it.

"We're 33, Jim," Skaal answered. "We were supposed to find our mate when we turned eighteen, back when we were juggling the responsibilities of the pack and school. It's been fifteen years that we've gone without one."

"And we were prepared to go the rest of our lives without one," Jim told him, rubbing his head some more. It was hard to eat when he had to deal with this all hours of the day and night. He had barely gotten anything productive done.

"Yes," Skaal agreed. "But we finally found her, after fifteen long years! Don't you think we should try and protect her?"

"I didn't even know she was my mate until you told me!"

"And? I didn't know a lot of things until you told me. We learned from each other – always have."

"Are you okay, sir?" the waitress came up to his table.

"Yes," he shook his head and smiled politely at her. "Thank you."

"Was the food not that good?" she asked, leaning in to talk to him quieter. "We won't get upset if you say it's bad, I promise."

"Thanks," he chuckled a little. "The food is really good. I'm just battling a headache at the moment." He liked little food places like this one. Some of his fondest memories came from it. He remembered when he was really young and his parents would try to find a new place to try each week. It was a lot of fun, especially for Jim and his brother. They could eat a pig under the table, even as small boys.