Chapter 4

Sam's POV

Oliver and I spend most of the day talking about everything under the sun as we walk around town. He looks nice, as usual. "You're friends with that Danny kid right?" Why did I ask that?

"Only because my dad makes me," Ollie rolls his eyes. "Why?"

"I don't know," I shrug. "Just wondering I guess. Why does your dad care who you're friends with?"

"Because he wants me to be friends with 'good traditional' people that care more about money and class rather than being a decent person," he seems angry. That's a first.

"You could lie," I suggest. "Tell your dad you're friends with the guy but you really just ignore him or something."

"I don't know if that would work," I can tell he's considering it.

"You don't have to," I make that clear. "Only if that's what you want. I'll help if you want it."

He grins happily, "thanks."

"Of course," I nod and we change the topic.

"So, you know all about me," did he just grow hella confidence out of nowhere? "What about you? What stuff do you like?"

"What do you wanna know?"

"Anything you're okay with telling me," he shrugs. "Favorite color, favorite song. Anything you want me to know."

"Okay," I nod and take a breath.

What should I tell him? Oh, he said his favorite color and song. I'll start with that.

"My favorite color is Persian blue or almost anything dark, and my favorite song would have to be The Village or Take Me To Church," he nods to let me know he's listening so I continue. "You already know I love motorcycles. I love music and my friends. I don't like parents or school. I hate being told what to do and country music. And that's all I got."

"Okay," he smiles a perfect smile as he checks his watch.

He looks like a little nerd. Sleeves rolled up, sweater vest, it's cute.

"I have to be home in three hours," he says as the sun begins to set.

"What do you want to do?"

"Keep walking?" I nod and we continue walking down the streets. As we walk Oliver pushes his glasses up every so often, his hair falling over his face. The sun causes a nice golden hugh to fall over everything in town. Oliver turns golden as his glasses reflect a few of the golden rays outlining the buildings around us.

"Oliver?" he hums in response as we continue walking. "Can I have your phone number?"

He's gonna say no.

"Sure," he nods and we stop walking as he reaches into his bag to pull out his phone.

"Here," I hand him my phone on the contacts option so he can make his contact. He gives me his and I put in my number with my name the cool guy emoji and a rainbow before saving it and switching phones back.

He made it simple, his first and last name.

"You forgot something," I chuckle as I fix it, adding the emoji with glasses on each side of his name.

"What?" I show him my phone and he rolls his eyes with an amused smile.

"Like it?"

"Sure," he laughs with a nod as we start walking again. His laugh is so soft and sweet. I could listen to it all night.

After a while Oliver has to go home so we part from each other. I start walking towards my house as he enters his. As I walk, I pass a few of the kids we passed earlier today. Paying them no attention, I ignore the comments they make about me before they give up and I get to my house. It's a simple place, one bathroom, two bedrooms, an office, a kitchen and a living room. Nothing too fancy, just how I like it.

I take my jacket off and set it next to my leather one on the back of the couch before going to the room that's supposed to be an office. I made the floor tile so I don't have to worry about staining the carpet.

As I set one of my empty canvases on the easel I grab some paint and a pallet to start with an orangey-yellow. As I progress with the painting I change colors and brushes a few times, getting paint all over my hands, shirt, and jeans.

I scratch my forehead, forgetting the wet paint as it transfers to my head. I'm not going anywhere anyway.

I shrug and continue the painting until it's almost finished. One corner of the canvas sits, void of the paint I've been using. After finishing the painting I clean up my brush and leave the painting where it is to dry. As I get to the doorway I look back at my painting to fully look at it.

It's Oliver, as he turned to gold not too long ago. A soft smile played at his lips as I made his glasses reflect the buildings just as they did on the street.

I smile at my work before flipping the switch to turn the light off and shutting the door behind me. I wash the paint off of me and go to my room to change into something comfortable before lying down, pulling out my phone, and sending Oliver a text.

S: Hey

O: Hey, it's almost midnight, shouldn't you be asleep?

S: Ya, but I live to disappoint. Why are you up?

O: Can't sleep

S: Why not? Are you thinking about me?

I put an emoji at the end as we continue texting for a while. By the time we both decide to go to bed, it's almost one in the morning. When I lay down fully I can't help but smile as I lay in the silent darkness of my room.