Chapter 1

Oliver's POV

    "Oliver Smith, if you don't get your ass up and in the car within ten minutes I'm leaving with or without you!" Dad's voice booms through the house as I finish tucking my buttoned shirt into my jeans.

    "Coming!" I quickly pick up my messenger bag and run out of my room, grabbing my shoes on the way out the door.

    "Have a good day, I love you!" Mom calls as I step outside.

    "Love you too!" I call back as I close the door and run to the car with my shoes in my hands.

    "Took you long enough," Dad mutters as I buckle my seatbelt and put my shoes on.

    "Sorry," I tie my shoes and watch as my dad pulls out of the driveway. I push my glasses up on my face as we pass all the streets.

    "Be home by six tonight," Dad orders as he pulls up to the school, three motorcycles parking in their usual spots by the doors.

    "Got it," I nod and start to reach for the door handle only to have it lock as soon as I touch it.

    "What?"

    "Yes, sir," I roll my eyes even though I know if he notices, he'll get mad. He's a real dick.

    "Get to class before you're late." I quickly get out and shut the door before heading into the school.

    "Hey, Ollie," Danny says as I get to my locker, right next to his.

    "Oliver," I correct him.

    "Right," he rolls his eyes as I put the stuff I don't need in my locker. "Look, I got a new watch last night."

    "Cool," I nod and look at the shiny, clearly expensive watch he holds out for me to see. "Are you leaving town again this weekend?" 

    "Yeah," he nods. "My parents are taking me out of the state again, but they won't tell me where."

    "Why not?"

    "They said they want to reward me for getting all A's again this semester," he shrugs, running a hand through his short blond hair. "I just hope there's not as many poor people as there were in the last place." Why am I friends with this guy? He's worse than my dad.

    "Why don't you like poor people?" I ask him as we start walking to class. "You have more money, that doesn't mean those of us who aren't as fortunate aren't people too."

    "I'm a Carter. We only associate with people on our level," he scoffs.

    "What about me? I'm not on your level."

    "But you're cool. Not like the others," I roll my eyes as he goes into his class and I go to mine, across the hall. I hate that I have to hang out with him.

    I sit in my usual seat and get my stuff ready to start class. After finishing my assignment, I continue rereading my favorite book, In The After, again.

    At lunch I sit with Danny and read while I eat, ignoring Danny talking about whatever offensive topic he chooses for today. I wish Dad didn't care so much about who I hang out with. He's so strict with every little thing I do.

    By the time school is over Danny's already left for his trip out of state and I don't have anything to do the rest of the day. So, I walk to the candy store instead of going straight home. As I walk, I check how much money I still have before putting my wallet back in my bag. After grabbing some cheap candies, I head from the back of the aisle towards the cash register.