Chapter 39

Rose's POV

"Rose."
''Rose, wake up."
Slowly I opened my eyes.

It took a moment before I could see, but I did after a while. Lina smiled at me, ''Today is a new day. Let's go get some breakfast," she helped me out of my bunk bed and pulled me down, putting my notebook and pen in my hand.

"You went to bed pretty early last night. Could it be that you were listening to what the counselors were saying?"
I looked at the floor and nodded. Then, the counselors talked about me going back to my mom, so I ran into the room crying and hid for the rest of the day.

''Don't be afraid; I managed to convince the counselors that you won't go," Lina said happily.
I stopped and looked at her in shock. Was she serious? I didn't have to go back? I scribbled on my notebook, 'really' on it.

Lina then took me in her arms, ''Yes, really. We can put our plan into action and run away," she laughed, and we turned in circles.
Hope, I had hope again.
"Come on, let's eat something."

We didn't have a... delicious breakfast in the orphanage, but it was enough to satisfy our stomach.
Only ... I didn't really feel like eating. I felt as if... there was something wrong ... as if I had forgotten something. That I should remember something... But I just couldn't think of it.

As we sat, Lina talked about the farm. She was full of energy and so active. As a result, she distracted me. I was glad that she managed that I didn't have to go to my mother.

Sighing, I took a few bites of my toast and continued to listen to Lina. We made our plans and were waiting for an opportunity to escape from the orphanage.

Actually, we were going to do it when we were a little older, but Lina decided that we should run away after a few months.
And so we did.

We packed a few things, took some food and drinks, and sneaked out of the home one night.

It was exciting but also scary; We were both small, and besides, I couldn't speak.
But we did it anyway; we had nothing to lose.
We were young and reckless.

''I asked around; we are going to a farm. It's a little further away, but I know the way. And I think when we get there, we'll be fine," Lina suggested when we were finally out of the building.
I nodded to her statement; we couldn't start more than one attempt... anyway. 

For hours we wandered around; we walked through streets, through forests, until it got light and then dark again.
Every now and then, we took breaks and looked at nature with amusement.

We both had a lot of fun exploring everything; Especially the woods, with the animals. We had seen rabbits, frogs, lots of birds and owls, tons of insects.

It was really an adventurous experience.
Beautiful; We felt free and so good.
And we were not afraid; even at night, we were not scared. But, on the other hand, hospitals, the orphanage, and my mother's apartment were much scarier; Here, it was just peaceful and beautiful.

''Rose, look there," Lina pointed to a large willow tree.
This tree was beautiful; We ran over and stood under its leaves.
''Wow," Lina cheered.

She danced in a circle, opened her long blond hair, and smiled sweetly.
Pretty as a picture, she was.

I watched her for a long time, but then I let my eyes wander, I saw a clearing. Slowly I walked towards it and then I couldn't believe my eyes.

Field! A huge field was in front of us. There must have been a farm nearby. I ran over to Lina and pulled her with me; she looked at everything in amazement.