Chapter 35

Dean's POV
I was sitting in the very back of my seat. It was really boring; I was not interested in geography.
Caleb was playing with his phone all the time and switched off.

Ashley also sat in the back with us; she was engrossed in her phone.
I pierced her with an evil glare.
How I hated this girl, she was so disgusting.

Yet, she stopped annoying us a few weeks ago; to be honest, she ignored us now. What I found very pleasant because I could not stand her at all.

Well, I tried to follow the lessons because I needed good grades for my career part.
''The earth's core lies...'' blah blah blah, I could not concentrate.

The subject was too boring. A glance at the clock told me that it wouldn't be long before the lesson was finally over. Then I would be out of school.

''Okay, no one seems to be following the lesson; you can pack up," the teacher said disappointedly.
''YAY!" the class cheered and started to do what she said.
Funny now, of course, everyone listened.

'You know, I'm a friend of her mother, I used to doctor her,' a voice could be heard from the speakers. However, this voice did not seem to interest the others because now and then, a prank was played. Sometimes some students made fun out of it to use the system for stupid radio pranks.
Only this time, it was a conversation in another language.
'It can't be stopped ... Rose will go to her mother. But I can promise you that I will take care of her. I will make sure nothing happens to her, and I will not let her die.'

I felt a chill run down my spine. That voice was from the psychopath. Is he at school?
Without paying attention to Caleb, I ran.
Whoever was in the secretary's office had something to do with it, and I'll find out who it was.

Next to the ugly sound, a lighter childish voice could be heard. Who the other person was, I couldn't figure out, but maybe it didn't matter.
When I was in front of the room and was about to press the doorknob, another hand wrapped around mine.

Surprised, I looked up; Rose was breathing heavily, as she also reached for it.

Her eyes were red and filled with tears. Whether she could still see at all was questionable.

''I recognized the voice," I said curtly.
We both opened the door and frantically went inside. While I looked around quickly, Rose ran toward the speaker system.

There was no one here.
Everything was empty.
The secretary and the director were apparently gone.

I walked next to Rose. On the desk, I spotted a device connected to the system.

Rose listened, transfixed to the conversation until she screamed and ripped the device away from the stereo at one point. She held it to her chest and started crying hard.
Really...as violently as I've ever seen.

What was being said? Why is she crying?
I tried to touch her, but she moved away.
She broke down. Her body shook, her hair fell forward.
I knelt on the floor next to her and held her.

She was suffering right now; she held herself so tightly that I thought she was hurting all over.
''Rose, what's wrong?" I asked carefully.
It hurt to see her like that... But then, the school bell started ringing.

"Oh, no. The students will be here soon," I mumbled.
I heard someone moving outside the door. I quickly pushed Rose with me under the table and covered her mouth. I'm sure she didn't want anyone to see her like that.
The door was opened.

''What student did that shit again," a teacher cursed.
She stepped over, but she didn't notice us.
''Next time, I'll have a camera installed here," she sighed, ''Although the pay is too little anyway, just enough to teach. So, I don't care," she rattled off, slamming the door.