Chapter 3

We all started laughing; even Sophia had a smile on her face. The rest of the school day itself was pretty alright.

Tyler didn't show up for class again, which I found quite pleasant. At the break, his friends weren't there either. By the way, Hani and Tiffany started liking Sophia. They got along very well, which made me really happy.

...

After school ended, Sophia, Jin, and I were on our way home. There was an awkward atmosphere between the two of them, as if something had happened between them, but they didn't want to say or show it in front of me.

"What are you up to today?" I asked Sophia as we took seats next to each other on the bus. Jin stood in front of me, supporting me as usual.

"I'm afraid I have to go to the doctor again today," she mourned. I could tell it was uncomfortable for her to talk about it, so I didn't elaborate.
"And you, Jin?"
"I'll have to study with those two idiots again. We agreed to study every Tuesday, Thursday, and also over the weekend. So around 5 pm today. Do you want to accompany us, Rose?"
Studying? No, thanks. Never again will I spend time researching; I had long since decided to only study if there was any test or exam in the next few days.

"Haha, no thanks, I'd rather not. I still have some books to read."
"You can do it at the library too," Jin suggested.
"I'll think about it."
"I'd love to stay with you if only I didn't have to go see the stupid doctor," Sophia sighed.
"Sophia, you have to. Your health is important," Jin reprimanded, looking over at her sternly. They held eye contact for quite some time before she nodded, and he then looked back at me.

"Our parents are going on a date today, and they're planning the wedding soon, so they'll be traveling a lot, and I hate to leave you home alone. So I can cancel the meeting too."

"No, you don't have to. I'm old enough; I'll be fine on my own. So don't worry, Jin." I really didn't want him to cancel on his friends because of me.
"Whatever you say," he sighed.

When we arrived home, Sophia bid her goodbye, and then she went straight home to get something to eat before going to the doctor. Our parents were still at home. They wouldn't be leaving until 5 pm as well, so we ate together.

In the late afternoon Jin tried to persuade me to go with him again while I was sitting in the living room, but I really didn't feel like going out, so I refused again.
"If anything happens, call me right away. I'll teleport here then!"
"Is that even possible?" I laughed.
"Yes! It is for me."

"Jin, you're already taking over my part already," we heard my father laughing as he entered the room. Jin was blushing hard as soon as he realized that my father heard everything. He looked charming with a bright red face.

"Sorry, I'm overreacting."
"No, not at all! I think it's great that you care about my daughter. It makes me believe she has a good brother,'' my father placed his hand on Jin's shoulder and patted it proudly.
Jin got embarrassed; you could tell it was a new feeling for him to have a proud father.
"Your welcome ... Father," when Jin said 'Father,' he covered his mouth with his hand.

My dad smiled up to his ears and hugged him. Tears almost fought their way through my eyes, but I held them back and smiled happily. I was really happy that he was able to say that, not like me. I still couldn't call Mika mother ... sadly.

"Your mother surely takes her time to get dressed up, though."
Jin laughed again, "Yeah, she's always like this."
"I'll go start the car; see you later, my sweet ones."

My dad leaned down and planted a kiss on my forehead, then patted Jin's shoulder one more time and following took off.

Jin continued to stare after him for a long time.
"Hey, Jin. Aren't your friends waiting for you?" I called to get his attention.
"OH no! I've got to hurry up. Don't forget what I said!" hysterically, he ran out of the house.