Chapter 75

"Aren't you going to be Derek's prom date?", Aby asks me. 

"I don't think so", I say and sigh.

"However, I think the idea of this prom is so ridiculous! I mean, prom is supposed to be at the end of the year and is meant for high school kids mainly", I exclaim and roll my eyes. 

"Jazz, five more months to go and then we have our semester final exams!", Aby says and looks at me.

"Five more months?", I ask. I didn't realize until now that I am almost in the end of my first year in NYU. So I've known Derek for almost a year now? But still it definitely feels like I know nothing about him at all.

"And one more thing, if you're coming to the prom, make sure you wear a mask", Aby adds.

"What? But why?", I stammer a bit.

"That's the rule of the prom. Every year its the same."

"Oh", I simply say. From where will I get a mask now? I mentally whine.

"We need to buy clothes for the prom. So I think we need to rush to the mall today", Aby says and blinks her eyes funnily. The weekend full be carried away by the prom, so I don't need to worry about being alone like always. Before the weekend, I need to talk to Derek. I need to ask him if he really wants me to be his date to the prom. 

Once Aby and I reach the apartment, we immediately freshen up and fill our stomachs with pasta and coke. I grab my car keys and try to convince Aby one last time.

"Are you sure we're going to shop today? We still have time Aby", I say and groan.

"No, the weekend is near and I need to make sure that we both look outstanding", Aby says and nods seriously. I shake my head and reach for the door handle. 

Within minutes, we reach the shopping mall. "I think we need to go with dark colors?", Aby asks looking at me. The red dress she is holding in her hand is too short according to me. It won't even cover her thighs. 

"Aren't we supposed to wear long decorative gowns to the prom?", I ask. 

"No, who told you that!", Aby cringes her nose and I shrug. 

I check out a long blue gown with small white strips at the end. It looks simple and elegant. It also has some stone works near the collar and the area of the stomach. The material is silky and the puff shoulders add on to its beauty.

"You should go with it", Aby suggests looking at my dress. I smile at her and hand over the dress to the sales girl for billing. Aby settles with the same red dress and she also refuses to buy her stockings. We also do a lot of shopping for makeup and hair accessories. I wonder if Aby is really shopping for a normal prom night or for a grand wedding. 

Finally we pay our bills and return back home. I am exhausted and tired. I don't even have the energy to pour myself a glass of water. Aby is tired too and my feet aches because of standing for such a long time.

"You should ask Derek about the prom. He will know more I guess", Aby suggests softly.

"Why would you say that?", I ask.

"Because he is the only boy who stays till the end of the night. The rest of us goes to hook up immediately after the dance", Aby says and laughs.

"Ohh I see", I say and smirk at her.

....

The next morning, as soon as I reach the campus, I decide to search for Derek. So, I skip my first class and go to the canteen instead. As predicted he is not to be found anywhere in the campus. Where is Derek? Is he in Manhattan? I am not sure if I should call Isha and ask about Derek being there or not. Will that be a bad idea? 

Anyways, I immediately dial Isha's number on my phone and wait for her to pick up my call.

"Hello Jazz!", she says over the phone.

"Hey Isha.. well.. I.. ", I try to quickly tell her my reason to call her suddenly. Usually Isha and I always text each other rather than calling.

"Is everything ok Jazz?", she asks.

"Is Derek there?", I blurt out. I hope I didn't make Isha worry about Derek.

"Yeah he is", she says and I feel like my heart has just begin to beat again.

"Ok fine", I say, not sounding too happy over the phone.

"Jazz... I want to tell you something", Isha says and my worry comes back. Did Derek do something again?

"Well... after so many years he just asked me some suggestions for the prom night. I remember him doing that when Rose was there. I think he is trying to live again and its only because of you. Thank you.", Isha's voice is shaky and I can tell she is controlling hard not to cry.

"Isha... I am happy for you", I say and comfort her.

"From when is he there?", I ask and sigh.

"He just came yesterday night", she says. I am confused. Was Derek here all this time? Shit, I should've gone to his apartment and checked on him. But I didn't want to disturb his space and freedom.

"Ok", I simply say.

"Should I give him the phone to speak with you?", Isha asks.

"No.. no.. its ok. I have class now", I say as quick as possible and hang up immediately. I don't want to ruin or snatch Derek's time from his family. I am happy and relieved that Derek is in a safe place. I sigh in relief and make my way to the biology class.

Four days have passed by and I have heard nothing from Derek. Of course Isha would have told him about my call. Then why didn't he call me back? Is he angry on me.

Its Friday morning and I feel restless and worried. I head straight to the canteen and grab my hot coffee. Tomorrow is the Prom and I have no idea who will be my date at the prom. It feels so awkward to be a part of the prom night without a date and its better not to go if you don't have one. I really think I need to take a break this weekend and go on a solo trip to Corsica- my favorite destination. But who has so much money though? I sigh and take a sip of my coffee.

Nothing happened much in this chapter though, I know it was really messed up but the upcoming chapters will be fun! Everything in this chapter just went so quick and Derek was mostly missing every time. Anyways, Thank you for reading!!! :)