Chapter 1

"Hey!" My new flatmate greets me with a big smile. She is in her white nightgown with hair tied into a high ponytail. Her green eyes meet mine as she welcomes me inside.
 I live in Texas with my mom and dad. Tomorrow is my first day of college. When I found out that I am enrolled in New York University, I decided to get a new flat. It's a dream come true for me to be a part of NYU.
As I enter the flat, I cringe at its messiness. The floor is littered with chocolate wrappers and plastic glasses, the sink is filled with dishes, the laundry hasn't been cleared for days, the couch is covered with dirty clothes, and loud music is blaring from the huge speakers kept in the living room.
"I'm sorry about the flat. Most of the time I am out so..." She sighs and throws her hands up in the air. 
"No it's fine," I say and give her a small smile. She stretches her hand out at me as she pushes a small strand of her blond hair behind her ear. "My name is Abigail. Abby."
"Hi, I am Jessie. You can call me Jazz." I shake her hand and she pulls me into a warm hug. Abby is also a student of NYU. She is a year older than me and is in her senior year. I have spoken to her on the phone before and I am happy that we both can go to college together. The university is just a mile away from the apartment. It will be easy for me to travel to college which is why I chose to stay in this apartment.
It is 5:00 in the evening and I am not as tired as I expected to be. The journey from Texas to New York was just three and a half hours via airlines. My sister, Jennet had promised me before leaving that she will drop my car in New York very soon. 
"Tell me something about the university." I take a huge bite of my cheese sandwich which Abby has ordered for me sweetly. I am so curious and I hope my junior year goes on well, without any distractions.
"The university is so huge and so damn attractive. NYU is mainly known for its lustrous boys. I am sure, you will find a boyfriend on your very first day," Abby says and winks at me. Boyfriends are no new thing to me. My high school boyfriend, Chris Steven, and I broke up after I caught him talking ill about me behind my back. I lost my virginity to him in grade 11. It was a dare given to me by Chris's friends and I had no choice. I regret it. But, I have always had my own reservations to fall in love.
"I have a boyfriend and his name is Josh. " Abby's voice brings me back to the present. "I will introduce you to him tomorrow!" She shrieks and looks at me proudly.
The rest of the evening passes by very quickly. Abby tells me that she moved to New York when she was ten and how she lost her virginity to a boy named Peter and how he actually fell in love with her. She also tells me about her first meeting with Josh and that they have been dating for two years and are planning to get married after graduation. I am happy for Abby. She is sweet and I already like her. We have our dinner and head to our respective rooms. I set my alarm and drift off to sleep. I can't wait for tomorrow. I am nervous as well as excited. New York definitely has something in store for me.
...

(Next morning)
The campus looks so crowded yet so attractive. Emotional parents dropping their children, a small group of girls carrying a huge wooden table, freshmen looking around the campus, tall boys playing basketball, and several NYU flags hanging around the massive campus. I instantly feel like an adult. I like this new freedom and the sweet independence. Meanwhile, a tall boy wearing NYU sweatshirt comes walking toward us and I instantly recognize him. He is Josh. 
Abby and Josh hug each other and share a kiss. They look so adorable together and Abby's face instantly lights up as soon as she sees Josh smiling, every time. She introduces me to him. "Hey!" He smiles and gives me a quick hug. All the things Abby told me about Josh are relatable. It feels like I have known him for such a long time, irrespective of the fact that I met him just a few seconds ago.
"I have to go to my classes. I will see you guys around," I say hesitantly and walk away from Josh and Abby. My first class is at nine and I need to hurry up. I look at the big campus map in the middle of the building. It says my classroom is on the second floor.
'Room 15' is printed on the door and I open it slowly. It is almost filled and a group of girls is standing near the lecturer's table while the boys are flying paper rockets and laughing loudly. I feel slightly embarrassed as I walk inside the room. All the eyes dart towards me.
I am dressed in an ochre color plain shirt with white jeans. My new white sneakers add elegance to my look and I wonder if I look as good as I think I am. Silently, I adjust my specs and take a seat in the middle row. 
"Hey!" The girl sitting on my right turns to me. I look at her and smile. She is wearing only a lace bra and tight blue shorts with dark mascara and lipstick. I cringe at her attire. She gives me a big smile with her midnight black eyes shining brightly. 
"I'm Venice. Nice to meet you," She says sweetly.
"My name is Jessie." I introduce myself to her. Despite her poor dress, I think Venice can really be a good friend of mine. Meanwhile, the entire class becomes quiet as the Professor enters. We wish him good morning and take our respective seats. I notice that the seat on my left is empty.
"Good morning, dear students. Welcome to NYU. For all the freshmen here, I am Professor Kenneth. I will be taking value education for you all." I smile to myself, feeling proud to be here. " In this class, we will be discussing the common topics and different circumstances of life, taking examples from classic Novels and other documentary films. I am sure you will enjoy it."
He is sweeter than I assumed him to be. I am happy that I chose this class for my semester and I am sure I will enjoy it. Suddenly, Kenneth stops at his words and everybody's eyes follow the door.