October 4 Game Night

It had been a week and a half since Chris and Daphne's first official kiss. Unfortunately there hadn't been much time to go out on actual dates but they still found time for one another in some way each day. 

  If Chris had evening shifts then Daphne would go with him to take Dodger for a walk before heading to the station.  If he had morning or day shifts they'd have dinner together rotating between her home and his apartment. 

  On one occasion Chris even joined Daphne's family for their monthly game night. It was the first time introducing him to everyone other than Oliver.

   Daphne could tell his nerves were getting the best of him as he kept wiping the palms of his hands along his cargo shorts in an attempt to dry them.  She reached over and placed her hand on top of his as she drove to her parent's house. "You'll be fine, I promise. And I know they're going to like you?"
"How do you know that? You're the baby and their only girl," Chris questioned her.
"Because they'll see how happy you make me," she says throwing him a wink. In return he lifts her hand to his lips.
"Are you sure it was okay to bring Dodger?" Chris asked as he took in the pup that was sprawled across your backseat.
"Of course. Sarah will be so excited to play with him. She'll wear him out for you for sure."

Daphne pulls into the quiet subdivision, passing the clubhouse on the left. She's never really been a fan of subdivisions. Always feeling like you were right on top of your neighbors and a lack of large trees. She wanted to always live where she had a minimum of at least 50 feet between homes, acres would be even better.

As Daphne pulls into the driveway Chris takes in a sharp breath, his stomach in knots. He looks over at the calm and collected woman next to him. Before he can break away she sweetly holds his cheeks in her hands and gives him a peck on the lips. "It's gonna be great babe," she tells him with confidence.

Walking through the front door without knocking (why knock, it's her parents) they stop in the foyer. Chris looks directly to his right into the living room. Front and center in his line of vision is a tall gun cabinet. The glass covering the front showing multiple shot guns and a couple of bows and arrows. 'That's intimidating,' Chris thinks to himself as he clears his throat.

"Sis! Long time no see," her brother James says as he rounds the corner holding baby Ellie. He opens his arm up for a side hug. Daphne joins him and puts her hands out to the baby. "I see how it is. Just appease me to get to her," he jokes with her. Throwing his hand out to Chris, "hey man, I'm James." "Chris," he says returning the handshake.

"Where is everyone else?" Daphne asks. "The parentals are in the kitchen with Ollie but Hazel, Rene and Sarah are in the backyard," James tells her.
"Come on," Daphne takes Chris by the hand as she carries the baby into the kitchen.

"Here comes the troublemaker," Oliver yells as Daphne walks into the kitchen. "How dare you speak of Ellie that way," Daphne sasses as she slaps her brother on the arm. Chris just chuckles as he keeps to himself watching the family dynamics.

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet Chris," She says as she pulls Chris by the hand closer to the family circle.

"Mr. and Mrs. Jeffries it's nice to meet you both," Chris says as he extends his arm. Adam Jeffries reciprocates the shake while Laura Jeffries shoved his hand out of the way and envelopes Chris into a big hug. "You saved my baby's life, a handshake won't do," she tells him. "Please, call us Adam and Laura," Adam requests. "Yes sir," Chris says with a nod of his head.

Laura reaches down to pet Dodger. "Who is this handsome fella?"
"This is Dodger. Daphne said it was okay to bring him along. I hope you don't mind. With my recent crazy shifts he's not gotten a lot of attention recently."
  "Of course he's welcome. The backyard is fenced so he can run around. Sarah will be so excited for another dog to play with," Laura tells him.
  "Let's take him out back and introduce him to his new best friend," Daphne says leading the way to the back porch. Chris follows along with Dodger.

  Daphne leads the way to the screened in back porch where Hazel and Rene are sitting around a patio table. "Hey girl hey! " Daphne says with a cackle to them as she steps through the door. "Hey chick!" Hazel calls back. Both women get up to hug Daphne. The last of the introductions take place. Chris let's Dodger off his leash and walks out with him into the backyard.

  "Girl." Rene is looking at Daphne with wide eyes. "He's hot."  Daphne blushes as she looks out and sees Chris introducing Dodger to Sarah. 

  "Rene is right," Hazel agrees. "Makes me want to break my leg just to see who would show up." All three of the girls burst into a fit of laughter which earns them a direct look from Chris. Daphne just tosses a wink his way. 

  The back door opens as the rest of the family comes out on to the porch, arms laden with snacks.  Laura sets down a charcuterie tray filled with meats, cheeses, crackers, pickles, olives and nuts. Oliver and James are each carrying bags of chips with dips while Adam brings out a cooler filled with drinks.  Chris joins the group, taking residence in the chair next to Daphne. 

"Before we get started, I'd like to bless the food," Adam tells everyone. "Heavenly Father, we come to you with a gratitude of thanks. Thanks for our family, for your provisions and also for new friends. Bless our time together. Amen."  Everyone chimes in with an amen. "Guests first," Laura says looking and gesturing at Chris.

"I appreciate that but I'd rather the ladies go first," Chris informs her.

"Well isn't that sweet of you," said Hazel. Oliver leans over towards Chris, "nice one. Brownie points with the mom."

Chris just chuckles lightly but that's not the way he sees it. Does he want Daphne's parents to like him? Of course. Is he doing anything different than he normally would? Not at all.  This is all just how he was raised.

  The family delves into chatter as they continue to get up to date on everything while including Chris as much as they can. "Daphne told us you have siblings. Where do they live?" Adam asks.

  "My brother lives in Fernandina and both of my sisters live in Raleigh North Carolina," he answers. "I actually haven't seen my sisters since my dad passed last year. Even though my brother is closer his job has him travel pretty often."

  "Anybody want peanuts for their Coke?" James questions the group. "I'll take some," says Ollie. "Me too," calls out Hazel.

  Chris throws you a questioning look. He leans over and quietly says, "this is another one of those strange South things isn't it?" Daphne just laughs. She reaches for a handful of peanuts and pours them into Chris's coke bottle. "Oh come on! Why'd you have to go and ruin a perfectly good Coca Cola?" He joins in with Daphne's laughter. "Don't knock it til ya try it mister," she simply states with a wink. In return Chris quirks his eyebrow and smirks. Lifting the bottle to his lips. After a couple swallows he places the bottle back on the table. He notices everyone waiting for his reaction. "Sweet and salty...just like you," he laughs out as he begins tickling Daphne's side.

  Laura has been watching the tenderness Chris has shown Daphne throughout the evening. She's been witness to the little side glances, the lingering of hands on knees. Once the laughter begins to die down she takes a hold of her husband's hand. Taking a deep breath she speaks, "we can not thank you enough for what you did to help our daughter.  You may believe that you were just doing your job but you were one of our angels that day. Before this happened," as she motions between Chris and Daphne, "we had already thanked God for you. But seeing the smile you put on our baby's face...we give extra praise."

  Chris is humbled by Laura's speech. He looks over at Adam who is shaking his head in agreement. He notices Daphne's hand reach up to wipe away tears. Quietly Chris nods his head. "That day was unexpected for your family. For me I thought it would be just a normal shift. I had no idea it would lead me to her," he says while reaching over to take Daphne's hand in his rubbing circles along the back on it. "She's pretty incredible." 
  Daphne can't take anymore of the sentimental talk and claps her hands together. "Alright, it's game night. Who's up for Uno?"