August 10 Sunrise

Laura yelled continuously for her daughter. Hopeful that she would get some form of a response from Daphne. She has no idea if Daphne was a part of an accident or just a witness of one. Her heart began sinking as she realized it was likely the former as she wasn't getting a response.

Knowing the route Daphne takes to work she quickly called 9-1-1 while saying silent prayers for her daughter.

Station 6

The alarm rang loudly alerting the men and women that a new call was coming through. It had been a relatively quiet night on this side of the small county so most of the crew were already up starting their day.

Chris had been in the kitchen pouring his cup of coffee when the alert came through. He forgot all about the cup as he swiftly ran to grab his gear and join the rest of the crew at the rig.

Chris Evans had spent most of his life in South Florida. After he graduated fire school he decided to take his career a step further and become an EMT as well. Chris strived to be the best so he wanted to be well rounded. The Miami area was strenuous for an EMT and firefighter. After Chris lost his dad to cancer he decided he wanted a change of pace and requested a transfer. He'd only been in North Florida for about two months but had truly begun to love the simplicity of small town life. 

Today, Chris was on tap as a paramedic at Station 6. He jumped in the driver side of the rig as more information was coming across the radio.

"Two car crash located on US1 north towards Hilliard. Unknown injuries at this time," the operators voice came across the radio.

Lights and sirens blare as he pulls the rig onto the highway as the sun begins to rise. The station was roughly a ten minute drive from Hilliard but due to the time of day and the known accident they made it in five.

Chris has been a paramedic for eight years so he has seen just about everything possible. But that doesn't mean his heart doesn't stop for just a moment each time he pulls up to an unknown situation. Today was no different as he takes in the mangled two door Saturn that is flipped over on its roof located just on the outskirts of the wooded area. Along with it is the wreckage of a tractor trailer that is laying on its side.

  The lights of the patrol cars flash as they are already on the scene. The medics jump out of the ambulance as the officers give them what little information is known.

"Quick! I've got an unresponsive female in the vehicle while the driver of the trailer seems to be okay," the officer yells as Chris runs closer to the scene.

Chris begins calling out to the woman as he sets his bag down and assesses the situation. "Ma'am. Ma'am can you hear me?" He checks for a pulse and breathes a sigh of relief as he locates one.  He begins to stabilize her neck as he knows the firemen will need to come and carefully cut her out.  Once she's stable he backs up to allow them the room to cut open the doors. 

He radios to his partner to check on the other driver as the tractor trailer is a distance away from the overturned car. "He's shaken up but appears to be okay. He's refusing further care so I'm on my way to you. The police are taking his statement," his partner Hayden radioed back. Chris turned to see him running across the median. He quickly updated him of where the female driver stood.

Within no time the car door had been removed. Hayden helped Chris get the backboard in place so they could remove the driver from the tangled mess of metal.

Once out of the car it appears the female begins to become conscious again as the men begin hearing slight moans. "Ma'am, you've been in an accident. We are assessing you quickly but can you tell us if anything hurts," Chris asked. The driver doesn't respond outside of moaning. Chris can take a better look now that she's out of the car. They take in the cuts on her face, the swollen lip and a black eye that has already formed. He notices her leg is broken and it looks like maybe a dislocated shoulder. They won't know of internal injuries until she's at the hospital. Quickly they load her up into the ambulance as they hear an officer calling out. "Her name is Daphne Jeffries," she tells the two men while carrying the drivers purse.

Hayden jumps into the drivers seat as Chris climbs in behind the gurney. "Alright Daphne, if you can hear me squeeze my hand," he waits patiently as she moans in pain again. "Come on Daphne, I know you hear me. Squeeze my hand," he commands. Focusing on her smooth right hand that is placed in his large calloused one he sees her fingers twitch as she lightly squeezes his hand.

"There we go.  Don't worry, we've got you. You're gonna be just fine," Chris sighs in relief as the ambulance barrels down the highway towards the city's hospital.