Ch. 43, The Forest

Rell

"Are you sure this is okay? Isn't it a tab bit... revealing?" I spun as I looked in the mirror. The shorts barely covered my butt.

Cat rolled her eyes. "Do you want to blend in or not?" Then she came to stand beside me in the mirror. Her costume was even worse, a black corset and tiny bottom with thin black tights that showed off every inch of her legs, all topped off with black cat ears.

"Who am I supposed to be?" I asked tentatively, buttoning up the cream colored shirt that barely covered my abs.

"You're Indiana Jones. You said you wanted something you can fight in, and carry weapons." Cat met my eyes in the mirror and gave me a devious smile. "Besides, you look hot. No way Bastien will be able to resist."

I blushed at this, and her smile grew wider. I picked up the whip and hat the outfit came with and then finally smiled back. "I once had to wear a dress made entirely of fish scales to sneak into the Mer ball— at least this doesn't stink. And if you really think it will help us blend in."

She rolled her eyes again— they were going to get stuck if she kept doing that. "You might be the expert of your 'Dark Land', but trust me, when it comes to high school parties, Cat is queen."

I wasn't sure I could trust someone who referred to themselves as queen, but it wasn't like I had someone else to give me fashion advice. I tugged my hat over my head, and then stepped out of the changing room. The store around us was filled with Halloween costumes, clearance signs, and other teenagers buying their last minute costumes.

Tonight was the Halloween dance.

The last night to find The Beast before the Blood moon.

Lorcan stepped around the corner, and I burst out laughing. He was in an outfit made entirely of black leather, with a huge black cape, and a mask that covered only the upper portion of his face, with little points sticking up like odd ears.

"What in the Dark Realm are you supposed to be?" I said, laughing.

He lifted the cape up to his face, covering his mouth "I'm Batman." His voice was low and rough.

"Oh! That's batman!" I was about to ask him more about his Human Realm hero, when Bastien suddenly stepped around the corner.

Our eyes met and I forgot what I was about to say.

He also wore a cape, but his was a deep, rust red. He wore a leather vest, strapped tight over a flowing shirt, with leather boots and tight pants.

He looked like a prince of the Dark Realm.

But apparently my surprise was nothing compared to his. Heat rose in his cheeks as his eyes ran slowly down my outfit.

"What are you supposed to be?" I said, jumping in before he could say anything about my costume.

He ripped his eyes away from my legs and blushed. "I'm Prince Charming. It was the only costume left tall enough for me. And I'll be able to carry a sword without looking strange."

I frowned. Of course, tonight wasn't about fun, or costumes. It was so easy to forget with Bastien.

"Your costume looks nice too," Bastien said, gesturing a bit awkwardly, and he blushed even darker.

"Thanks," I said, and whipped my hat on. "I'm Indiana Jones." Whoever that is.

Together we all went to buy our costumes. I used a considerable hunk of my remaining wad of cash to purchase them all. Guess it was a good thing I hadn't tossed it after all.