Chapter 14: The Exam is Not That Hard

"Kevin, are you okay? You barely touched your favorite Mr. Begle limited edition cereal." Arthur asked me who was lost in thought.

I looked at my full bowl of cereal, or to be precise, dog biscuits. Okay, I know that I am a dog now, but that doesn't mean I am okay with eating dog food.

"Uh... Dad, are you sure that this thing is edible for us?" I asked as I glanced doubtedly at the bone-shaped cereal.

"Huh? What are you saying, son? It's this what you eat every morning?" He raised an eyebrow as he peeked from over his newspaper. "You were the one who said that you wanted instant food for breakfast yesterday since you wanted to get to school early."

I did say that because today was the first day of the exam. I wanted to spend more time studying in school, so I asked for something that was quick and easy to serve for breakfast. How would I know that they would give me literal dog food?

I glanced at the cereal box on the kitchen table. A beagle with a bright smile was staring at me back with the same cereal bowl in his hands. A flashy text like [NEW MR. BEGLE SWEETENED CEREAL], [LIMITED EDITION COVER: COLLABORATION WITH PAW PAW ATTACKS III THE MOVIE WITH MR. BEGLE FIGURE TOY SPECIAL EDITION BONUS(COLLECT ALL THE VERSIONS!!)], and [CONSUME EVERYDAY TO GET SHINY AND HEALTHY FUR LIKE MR. BEGLE] was written in a suspiciously fancy style, especially the last one.

Mr. Begle the beagle. They didn't even try to put any effort into naming their own mascot.

"...Just to be sure, this is not dog food, right?"

"Huh? What do you mean? It is dog food." He paused before adding. "Well, 'dogs' like us I mean. But I heard that actual dogs can also eat it since it's good for their fur."

That makes me even more reluctant to eat it.

(AN: May God bless us all with this edited cursed meme)

I pushed the bowl away. "I think I'll have my breakfast in the cafeteria. I'm not that hungry right now."

"Well, sure, if you say so." He shrugged before continuing to read the newspaper. "Have you prepared enough for your test?"

"Yes, I suppose. I don't think I will do bad."

"That's good." He smiled and patted my head. "We know that you have studied hard for the past few weeks. Just don't burden yourself too much. No matter what results you get, we will still accept it."

I had noticed it long ago, but Arthur—and also Jeremy—seemed to be paying too much attention to my well-being. Well, I didn't blame them though after what already happened. I was happy that they cared about me, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel guilty. Right now, I was literally deceiving them by pretending to be a different person. Even if I was happy to be reincarnated into this body, there was no way I wouldn't feel bad about it.

"Thanks, dad." I answered him with a warm smile. No matter how I acted, they are still someone else's parents. Sooner or later they would realize how my habits, behaviors, and personality were different from the original owner. Even with an amnestic excuse, it wouldn't explain everything.