Chapter 20: UNDERBASE Part 1

This chapter is kinda long, like 7000 words. So I decided to separate this into two parts.

***

"Ah, when was the last time I had a fine red wine like this?" Said Alex with a hiccup as he raised his empty glass.

I drank my apple juice beside him. I was still too young to consume liquor, if you ignored my mental age. Well, I was not a fan of liquor anyway, so this is fine.

"Huahahaha, it's thanks to you I can have a luxury meal for once." He continued while patting my back with some force. "Make sure to order a lot if you don't want to be a twig forever."

"T-thanks, Mr. Scott." I said as I coughed some bloo- I mean apple juice. He would sound like a generous adult if only he was the one who was paying for the food.

"Come on, don't be so formal. You called everyone here by their names, right? Just call me Alex." He ruffled my hair as he said that. My head felt like it would fall off. He sure put a force in it.

"Well, if you insist." I coughed for a moment. "But still, I never expected for you to have worked as a mercenary before. No wonder you are so strong and ripped. I bet no one is as strong as you in the school."

"Hahaha. What are you saying, kid? you're exaggerating." He said with a slightly red face. The party had just started, and It seemed he was already showing signs of drunkenness.

Wait a minute. Maybe I could use this chance to my own advantage.

With a hidden grin, I started my pursuit. "No, Alex. I'm not exaggerating. I always admire you in class, how you can build up muscles like that." I put on an excited face. "I also want to have a body like you. Do you have any advice?"

"Ehehe, is that so? Youngsters these days sure are bold. Well, I don't hate that though." He rubbed his nose shyly while putting on a 'happy tiger face'. "Well, if you insist, I can give you some help. You are friends with Rannier, right? You can join him and the team training after class with a special lesson that I'll prepare for you. How does that sound?"

"Ah, that... I will think about it later." I made an awkward laugh and tried to change the subject. I didn't want to spend a day in bed again. "Speaking of Rannier, I heard a lot about you from him. He said that you are a kind and flexible person. He also said that he and his team could never go this far without your guidance. They all are indebted to you."

Okay, I may have been exaggerating, but some part of it was the truth. Just a small part though.

"What? That is exaggerating." He waved his hand to deny it, but his face said otherwise. I could see he tried to hold his mouth from curling up. "That kid. What was he saying? Must be his trick to gain favor for me."

"No. I think that's not true." I shook my head. "I also think that you are an amazing person. You are always full of spirit when you teach us. Even when everyone is tired, you always cheer us up to keep going. I can see that you are serious with your job as a PE teacher for the sake of us."

"Eh, is that true?" He played his fingers around his glass fidgety. "Well, to be honest, I always have an impression that maybe my teaching was kinda harsh because of my previous profession. You see, when I am serious, I tend to push too far. High school is different from the military anyway, so I'm not sure if my teaching is right." He looked at me with a smile. "Glad that there is someone that thinks like you."

"Yes. I think everyone feels the same as I do."

"Hahaha, well that is just silly thinking." He laughed as he took another glass. How many glasses did he take already?