TWELVE

Day 31
C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories
Aves Department
Observatory

I BEGAN LOOKING forward to seeing the Subject. I would arrive early and stay as late as possible, talking with him as he ate his dinner.

The first time I stayed I asked him if it bothered him. He simply shook his head no and continued eating.

Over the past few weeks, I have realized that Elias is not much for words. Part of me thinks it was because having a constant companion for conversation was abnormal to him, but I wasn't going to press the matter and ask. Nevertheless, with all my time spent entirely on getting him through his daily routine, it's no surprise that we have been bonding.

From our first meeting, I was scared that he would never open up to me. I mean who could blame him? After seeing his wings, I screamed in his face and ran away. Though after our conversation the other day, he seemed to forgive me. could see why Dr. Pierce had given him a biblical name. He was truly an angel. Here he was safe from the corruption of the world and when he wasn't misbehaving, he was perfect.

Though this shield came with a price. He did not know a lot of things, but I was surprised by the number of things he did. For someone who supposedly had limited contact with the outside world, he surely knew a lot about it. I was surprised I was able to discuss music and movies with him and I found conversation outside of our lessons surprisingly natural. Enjoyable even.

Though most of our conversations were short lived as he could never stay still long enough to have one. Elias was always doing something. Now that he was growing more comfortable around me, I was now his favorite victim to his playful antics.

Thump.

I paused my thoughts when I felt something hit my cheek, forcing me to look up from my journal. In the grass beside me was a small red berry I had seen growing in the bushes in the Observatory.

Glancing around, I realized that Elias had left his spot in the meadow beside me. He must have gotten bored again. We had finished today's lesson and were now enjoying the break Elias got for lunch in the Observatory. Usually, after we ate, I would take this extra time to record my observations for the day. Most days Elias would sit beside me, watching me write with his curious blue eyes before he got bored and would fly up to the trees. The branches towards the top of the Observatory's ceiling seemed to be his favorite spot, probably because it was as close to the outside world he has ever gotten.

Looking above me, I didn't see anything like a bird in the trees above me that could have dropped a berry on me. Scrunching my brows in confusion, I looked back down at my journal and continue writing.

Thump.

Something hit me again and instead of looking for what it was, I turned my head in the direction in which it came. This time I was quick enough to see a patch of white disappear behind into a tree a few yards above me.

I smiled. Like I said, playful antics.

Feigning my confusion this time, I looked back down at my journal pretending to begin writing again. Feeling around with my free hand, I grabbed a leftover apple from our lunch abandoned in the grass beside me.

With the fruit clutched in my grasp, I waited another berry came again.

Thump.

Twirling around, I aimed to where I saw his figure last time and send the apple flying in that direction.

Within moments I heard a squeak of surprise followed by a muffled thud of a figure hitting the grass behind me.

Turning completely around, I looked at Elias who was now lying stomach down in the grass giggling. His long white wings were bent at odd angles and bounced with his laughter.