THREE

Day 01
C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories
Aves Department
Office of Human Resources

I BEGAN TO notice that silence seemed to be a theme with C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. The only noise in the plain fluorescent-lit room was the steady thrum of the air conditioner working overtime to keep out the California heat.

Glancing at the wall clock, I realized I had no idea how long I had been waiting. A sudden chill raked over my body from the constant cold air being pumped viciously into the room. Wrapping my arms around myself, I began to bounce my legs partly in anxiety and partly as a fruitless attempt to generate warmth.

Suddenly, the steady clack of heels echoed throughout the empty room. I raised my head at the whoosh of a door opening to see a middle-aged lady clad in a crisp white lab coat. She held a black clipboard pressed to the red blouse that covered her chest. I made a mental note that an access badge similar to mine was clipped neatly on her coat pocket. Tucking a few strands of curly auburn hair back into her low bun, she glanced down at her clipboard.

"Miss Hall correct?" The woman asked, raising her head to look up at me with a skeptical gleam. Her warm hazel eyes regarded me behind the glare of wire-rimmed glasses.

"Yes, that's me," I said, standing up from my chair to walk over to her.

"Congratulations on being selected," She began, her kinky tossed curls bouncing with her confident stride as she made her way towards me.

"You have no idea how lucky you are," She added, her eyes gleaming with something unreadable. Though all too soon it was gone and I was left thinking I had imagined it.

Wasting no more time, she resumed pleasantries, extending a chestnut-colored hand towards me. "I am Dr. Jeanine Pierce, head of the Aves Department," She said, shaking my hand with a surprisingly strong grip. Releasing my hand, she continued, "I will be supervising your internship here."

I met her gaze and her full lips curving up into a kind smile that transformed her face completely. Gone was the cold skepticism, replaced by the almost motherly warmth of her smile. It was as surprising as it was short lived, for in the next moment, her smile fell and it was gone.

"Come with me please," she said once her smile faded, retracting her hand to pivot and walk off. I was still at a loss for words, and instead of responding, simply followed her down inside the building.

As we walked down the long white halls, she explained the building's layout. "As you may have noticed, the compound is divided into three sections aside from this building. Section 1 being flightless birds, Section 2 being flying birds."

"And Section 3?" I asked, looking over at her.

"You need not worry about that section. At the moment, your badge will only grant you access to Section 1," She said without meeting my questioning gaze. Instead, she kept her eyes focused in front of her as we made our way down the empty white hallway.

Soon we reached the back exit of the building and began approaching a metal door with the words OBSERVATORY printed above it. I could hear the bird song already as we approached. With a flash of her badge, the red light on the lock turned green. With an audible click, the door unlocked, allowing us inside.

"This is the observatory," Dr. Pierce stated after pushing open the door and walking inside.

Entering the dome, I was greeted with a gush of humid air. Rays of sunlight filtered through the glass, penetrating through the leaves of the surrounding trees and casting an unearthly green–gold luminescence over the grass-covered ground. Looking around, the floor was speckled with a mixture of different shrubberies and wildflowers. The gentle gurgling of a creek leading into a small lake at the other end of the dome brought me out of my blissful daze. I turned back only to see that Dr. Pierce had already begun walking further into the dome. With one last look around me, I rushed to follow after her.

Soon the grass-muffled stomps of Dr. Pierce's determined steps were drowned out by twittering birds chirping and calling out to each other in distant melodies. Birds of all colors and sizes were flying around; hopping from tree to tree observing us with mild interest. I recognized some distinct sounds, but I was surprised by the sheer number of ones I couldn't even begin to identify. Sheer curiosity overwhelmed me at the idea of discovering whatever foreign species made those noises.

In college, I majored in Biology with a minor in Ornithology. I enjoyed bird watching and was able to identify almost any species from their song alone.

"What kind of bird is that?" I asked, pointing to an especially interesting bird perched on a low hanging branch a few yards in front of us. The bird noticed my stare and puffed out his red chest and fluttered his violet-emerald wings. I smiled at his proud display. He was truly beautiful.

"Are you familiar with the work of Charles Darwin?" She asked, pushing back a rebellious swirl of auburn hair behind her ear.

My gaze lifted from the bird to settle back on Dr. Pierce with curiosity. "Yes, I am familiar with his theory of natural selection," I responded, knitting my brows together in confusion at the sudden change of subject.

"You see Miss Hall, you don't recognize that bird because it doesn't exist outside this dome. That bird there is a cross between a robin and a hummingbird," She explained as my eyes widened.

"You combined species?" I asked incredulously. I knew that geneticists had the technology, but I had never seen a successful hybrid species before.

Her lips quirked up into a proud, almost knowing smile. "Indeed Miss Hall. We must in order to save these creatures. Giving them a chance to survive in a world that has beaten their species down. With pollution at an all-time high, wildlife is dying out and displacing our ecosystem. So, to combat this problem, we cross-breed these birds with stronger breeds, the ones that can withstand the changing climate, while still preserving the species' unique traits that we deem worth keeping. After all, if we have the power to make something better, why shouldn't we?"

I was stunned. "But doesn't it mess with the natural order?" I questioned. Surely such an esteemed research lab wouldn't do anything too untoward, but I couldn't help but be skeptical. This kind of meddling goes against everything I learned from studying Biology.

Dr. Pierce pressed her lips into a flat line before turning to look at me with that unreadable expression again. "Messing with nature is what put us here in the first place. Besides, they are just birds, Miss Hall," she added, waving her hand dismissively. The gesture frightened the beautiful hybrid bird and I watched with disappointment as it flew away, disappearing into the trees.

I couldn't imagine how lonely he must be. To be the only one of his species. My heart ached for the bird, he shouldn't have to suffer like this.

Feeling disheartened, I turned back to Dr. Pierce to see that she was still looking at me. When our gazes met, she gave me another warm smile, but this time, it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Before I could think much of it, she spoke. "Come along now, let me show you your assignment." Then she quickly turned and began waking off, leaving me to follow.

—————————————————————
Hey beautiful people!

I hope you liked this chapter. It is dedicated to @Watersinger for being the first voter and commenter on this story ❤️.

Thank you!