TWO

Day 01

Somewhere In The California Valley...

AS I DROVE along the seemingly endless deserted road, I was beginning to think I was being punked. There was no sign life out here. The only thing surrounding my car were vast stretches of dry valley earth, which, I would have considered completely barren if not for the rare tumbleweed that bounced across my path.

To make matters worse, the bright California sun had begun to lower. Before I knew it, the blinding yellow rays had wormed their way down to shine into my line of vision. Squinting my eyes, I cursed and pulled down the visor to shade my eyes. Checking my GPS for the umpteenth time, I sighed when I saw there was still a lengthy drive ahead of me.

Patience was never one of my virtues.

Focusing back on the road, I let my mind wander to the events that led me here. To be honest, the majority of last night was a blur. I was too caught up in my excitement to be present in the moment. I could remember the important details though. I remembered my name being called and then waking backstage with the other interns only to be greeted by two suit-clad men. The men had given each intern laminated access badges where they explained that on the back of each badge was a location where we were expected to show up to the following day.

That day had come, and now here I was, driving who knows where to a location in the middle of California valley. I exhaled and let my impatience take over as I floored the gas pedal, increasing my pace until I was going well past the speed limit down the deserted road.

Following rules was never one of my virtues either.

After a while, I noticed a shape begin to form out in the distance. The closer I got, the bigger the shape grew and I was able to see that it was a building. Pulling up to the site in my black Ford Fusion, the reality of my situation began to sink in. Confided by my GPS showing this place as my destination, I drove my car up to the towering barbed metal fences that protected the operations inside. I stopped next to the guard box and a burly man in a military outfit stepped out, marching to my car. He was the spitting image of a soldier, clad in a black beret and camouflage suit, he might as well have walked out of a G.I. Joe movie. I rolled down my window, silently cursing the hot California air that decided to sear my face.

"Access Badge," Came his clipped reply when the guard approached my window.

I nodded and reached into my car console, pulling out the badge given to me the night before and handing it to the guard. His harsh features scrunched up as he examined it. After a quick scan, he nodded.

"Wait here," He barked before pivoting and stomping back into his booth with my badge still firmly clasped in his burly fingers.

Not like I have anywhere else to be, I thought with a sigh as I slumped back in my seat to wait. After a few minutes, I pressed a button on my car visor revealing a mirror to check my appearance. I smoothed back a few wayward strands of hair back into my updo before glancing down at my bare lips.

I usually didn't wear make-up, but when I talked to my mother after the expo last night, she was quick to give me her advice. She said I should make a good impression on the first day and that meant looking my best. To prove her point, before I left this morning, she slid a tube of lipstick in my blazer pocket and wished me good luck. I smiled at the memory and reached into my pocket until my fingers grasped a smooth cylinder. I unscrewed the cap and was surprised to see a bright red.

Not a color I would have picked, I mumbled to myself. Nevertheless, since I did not have much job-hunting experience, I complied, smearing the crimson hue on my lips.

The tell-tale sound of the grumpy soldier stomping the life out of the ground made me quickly put up my mirror and turn to face him. I forced a polite smile when he handed me back my access badge.

Leaning towards me, he examined my change in appearance for a moment before pointing a thick digit at the badge in my hand, "Keep that with you at all times, it will be your way in and out of the compound."

Nodding, I slipped the laminated square into the pocket of my black dress slacks.

"Wait here until I buzz you in," He added while gesturing to the gate. I nodded and began rolling up my window. The man let out a satisfied grunt and strode back to the booth.

I jolted in my seat when suddenly a loud buzzing noise echoed throughout the compound. My wide eyes flickered back in front of me to watch the massive gates screech to life. The sound of metal grinding pierced my ears as the barbed gates opened, permitting my entrance. When there was a wide enough clearing, I pressed the gas pedal and drove inside.

As my car glided up the perfectly-paved driveway, the entirety of the compound came into view. From its outward appearance of sleek perfection, it became increasingly clear that this was a very generously government-funded operation. There were four pristinely painted white buildings attached in a circle around what looked like a giant glass globe. A greenhouse maybe? The four buildings were only separated by a single circular breezeway that connected them.

In truth, this place looked more like a space station than a laboratory. I've seen my fair share of research laboratories during my college years, but this building just looked...unnatural.

Tearing my eyes away from the structure, I parked my car in the lot by the closest building. When I stepped out of my car, I was met with yet another unwelcoming wave of dry valley air.

I was glad the drive was only about an hour away from my apartment in Sacramento, but I couldn't help but curse the deserted location. Motivated by the promise of air conditioning, I smoothed out my outfit and began walking to the nearest structure.

When I got close enough I was able I read the door, Office of Human Resources. That sounds about right, I thought with a shrug before opening the unlocked door and stepping inside. I was met with a refreshing cool breeze that unfortunately released the stray tendrils of my hair that I had just smoothed down. With an irritated sigh, I made my way into the building. The rushed clack of my painfully new black heels broke the building's eerie silence as I made my way through the entrance to a tiny desk I assumed to be the check-in counter. Straightening my white blouse and wiping my nervous hands on my black dress slacks, I pulled out my access badge as I approached.

It was a laminated white badge with my name and photo along with the words Aves Department: Section 1

I walked up to the counter and the overweight middle-aged man who was sitting behind it. His attention was focused on his computer screen and did not even notice my arrival.

"Um hello..." I said, standing in front of him. He must not have noticed me because he didn't respond. Clearing my throat, I leaned over the sleek white desk to try again, "I'm here for the internship," I said a little louder to get his attention. Startled, the man snapped his head up from his computer, giving me a surprised once-over. I flashed him my badge and a look of recognition crossed over his wrinkly features.

"Ah yes, here," He mumbled while pulling out a thin black tablet and setting it on the desk in front of me.

"This is a non-disclosure form along with other paperwork that you need to sign, simply swipe through and put your finger here and it will sign your name automatically," He explained pointing to the scanner on the screen.

I nodded and slid the tablet closer to me as I began scrolling through the pages. After a few minutes of briefly perusing the lengthy paperwork, I signed my name in approval and handed the tablet back to him.

Taking it, he reviewed my work before nodding in approval. "Great, take a seat over there and Dr. Pierce will be with you shortly." He said gesturing to the sleek porcelain chairs on the other side of the room.

"Thank you," I said, walking over to take my seat.
———————————————————

Hey beautiful people!

Thanks for almost 90 reads!

I hope you all liked this chapter. It was a difficult and rather boring chapter to write, but don't worry, things will get exciting very soon! Also, please don't be afraid to point out errors when you see them, I'm not perfect! Thanks!