TWENTY-TWO

I FELT ELIAS watch me as I carried the clothes, bandages, alcohol, and scissors to the bathroom.

Setting the supplies down beside the tub, I searched the bathroom until I found the clean towels hanging neatly on a rack against the wall. Glancing over my options, I grabbed a small hand towel and brought it back over to the tub. Kneeling beside the old fashioned porcelain bath, I opened the bottle of rubbing alcohol, pouring some out onto the clean towel.

The alcohol burned the cuts on my hand and I cursed myself for not wearing gloves as I wiped down the tub and the surrounding floor, killing any bacteria that may have remained from previous guests. I was going to be treating a wound here soon, and I wanted the area to be as sterile as possible.

Once that was finished, I reached over to turn on the faucet, letting the water wash away the remnants of alcohol before closing the drain. As the tub began to fill with hot water, I readied a clean wash cloth and full size towel.

Now all I needed was Elias.

Stepping out of the bathroom, I walked over to where Elias sat on the bed. His eyes had drifted from me and were looking around the room, taking in the color of the walls, the outdated furniture, and the dusty curtained lamps that lit the room.

Now that we were inside, he seemed calmer. The uneasiness and fear he displayed earlier was now replaced by curiosity of his new surroundings.

This was all new to him. Gone were the plain white walls and overly bright fluorescent lights that had made up his entire life. Now he was here, in the real world.

With me, a small voice in my mind added. I smiled.

Walking over to him, his eyes found mine and fixed me with a curious look as I approached.

"I think it's time to get all this blood off don't you?" I asked, holding out my hand to him.

His lips twisted into a grimace as he obliged, leaning on me as we made our way to the bathroom. Once inside, I had him sit at the edge of the tub while I grabbed the scissors I bought. When I faced him again, his eyes were transfixed on the water of the tub.

I watched as he reached towards the water, touching the surface before being his hand back up to his face. It took me a moment to realize what he was looking at.

His reflection.

I sifted through my memories to try and recall if I had seen any mirrors in the lab, but my mind came up blank. Briefly, I wondered if this was the first time he had ever seen himself. Taking a deep breath, I walked back over to him slowly.

"I hope your not planning on going in like that," I teased, gesturing to the way he was leaning over the tub fully clothed. I was trying to lighten the mood, distract him from whatever gave him that far away look.

At my voice, I could see him leave that dark place and come back to me. Turning to face me, a tentative smile split his lips.

Returning the smile, I held up the pair of scissors, gesturing to his ripped shirt. "Need help?"

He looked down at the shirt that barely held itself around his chest and nodded.

With my scissors, I carefully cut away what little remained of his blood stained shirt, tossing it aside. I could feel Elias watch me, and I did my best to keep my hands from shaking from the weight of his stare. Maybe it was his lack of clothes or the fact I just now remembered I was only in a tank top, but suddenly I felt nervous.

When that was done, I quickly took a step back. I didn't miss the way Elias's eyes widened at my sudden movement.

"Are you okay getting undressed?" I added a little breathless, looking pointedly at his pants.