Twenty-nine

Ethan thinks of his conversation with Nathan as he drives home. Lisa doesn’t seem to be someone who goes around wronging people so she wonders who might be out to get her like this. He hates that this is happening yet part of him is glad that they don’t have to hide anymore. He’d thought that it’ll only be after telling his wives and then the wedding but now everyone knows. The man also knows that once this storm is over then he and Lisa will move around as they wish and maybe in time, she’ll get along with his other wives. He knows there are high chances of either leaving him, but the thought never lingers in his mind for too long. He loves them all, but he can admit that Lisa takes the cup. He’s never loved anyone how he loves her, and he doubts he ever will. He parks in the garage, noticing Amo’s car parked by the front door. He goes into the house through the garage. Lexy is setting the table for dinner with the kids in the living room. The four run to their father when he’s in the living room and all hug him, the two youngest hugging his legs. Ethan chuckles, placing a kiss on all their foreheads and its after that, that he’s realised. He walks to where Lexy is and kisses her cheek, spanking her butt after which makes the coloured woman bounce a bit.
“Ethan!” Lexy screams with a giggle, forgetting she’s supposed to be mad at him. He then tongue kisses her before she can say another word then places a wet kiss on her forehead which makes her blush. How can she leave this?
“Where’s Amo?” Ethan asks.
“I’m right here,” the said woman replies while descending the stairs. She’s dressed in a figure-hugging black nylon dress with red bottoms and her braids in a bun on the top of her head.
“Where are you going all dressed up?” Ethan asks and she scoffs at the audacity of the man who scorned her. How dare he?
“I’m having dinner with my family. Is that a bad thing, sir?” Amo asks and he remembers the article which had slipped his mind the moment he kissed Lexy.
“Sarcastic much?” Ethan says and she rolls her eyes then fakes a smile.
“Good to have you home love. We hardly see you here,” Amo says.
“Not in front of the kids Amo,” Lexy scolds and the first wife is taken aback by the sudden change in her sister-wife. She’s supposed to be as mad as her, furious even so why is she sticking up for the man they both should be hating?
“Forgive me then,” Amo says then struts to the dinner table where she takes a seat. Ethan follows, pulling a chair for Lexy first then following suit for himself. The dinner is awkward, only the man conversing with his kids while the wives keep exchanging glances. The kids go up to their rooms after, Ethan following them to bath the younger ones while Amo helps Lexy with the dishes.
“What the hell was that about?!” Amo bellows the moment the man is upstairs.
“What?” Lexy asks with a shrug and she pulls her by the shoulder roughly, making the redhead raise an eyebrow at the aggression. “Don’t put your hands on me!”
“What? You’re turning against me the moment he steps in? we talked about this Lexy!” Amo says.
“No. you talked, and I listened,” Lexy says and the thick woman chuckles.
“Really? Have you forgotten who’s the enemy?”
“There is no enemy Amo. Our husband is taking another wife whom he possibly loves more than the two of us combined and we can’t just blame the girl for it,” Lexy says.
“Did he tell you he loves her more?” Amo asks.
“No,” Lexy retorts then bites her lip. “Not in many words but it’s possible”
“So you knew about her?” Amo rhetorically asks, putting her hand on the kitchen island for support. “Why didn’t you say something Lexy? I had to find out from bitchy Miranda while my co-wife knew. Do you know how hurtful it is now? It makes sense why you aren’t as mad as I am. You had time to get used to the idea. He probably talked to you about proposing and you even suggested rings and all that. you bitch!”
Something snaps in Amo which has her strangling Amo, unable to believe she’s made list of the people who’ve scorned her. the strangling doesn’t last for more than ten seconds because Ethan pulls her from Lexy and brings the now coughing woman some water.
“What the hell is going on with you Amo? Why are you strangling my wife?” Ethan asks, voice lower than what the two are used to.
“Your wife? Am I also not your wife or am I only first wife by default?” Amo asks, tears beginning to cloud her eyes. “I have given myself to you for ten years Ethan, ten fucken years and you didn’t have the decency to tell me you’re unhappy in this marriage. No telling poor Amo that you’ve fallen in love with someone else and now I had to find out from a gossip journalist about it. Do you know how demeaning that is?” Amo says with a sob. Ethan steps to her and embraces her, the woman only giving in for a few seconds then freeing herself and taking some steps from him.
“I was going to tell you tonight Amo, I’m sorry. this isn’t how I wanted you to find out,” Ethan says.
“And that’s supposed to make me feel better? Let’s talk about Lexy knowing before me. Were y’all having threesomes behind my back?”
Lexy scoffed, “that’s ridiculous”
“Is it? You knew Lexy! You didn’t even tell me or did our dear husband ask you not to? Hell no because Ethan doesn’t care. he was probably walking all over town with the girl, not caring about his wives finding out. well, wife. Tell me Ethan, do you love me?” Amo asks, now turning to her husband who’s sitting on the dining table.
“Yes,” Ethan says and she snickers.
“Do you love her?”
“I do,” Ethan says and the first wife nods.
“You can’t have your cake and eat it eaten. It’s either her or me, your choice,” Amo says with folded arms.
“Excuse me?” Ethan says, now on his feet.
“Her or me Ethan. You have to choose right here and right now. Monalisa or Amo”
Ethan snickers, rubbing his waves then looking at her. “You’re actually serious”
“Can’t be a tough choice, can it? Because I don’t know about Lexy but three is a crowd for me. choose her then my lawyer will send you divorce papers and the kids and I will be moving out,” Amo says.
“My kids aren’t going anywhere. You leave if you want to but they’re staying,” Ethan nonchalantly says.
“What?” Amo asks in disbelief, walking closer to her husband. Lexy remains in one spot, watching all of it unfold with her eyes more on her husband than her sister-wife. “You’re…choosing her?”
“I love Lisa Amo. I love her like I’ve never loved before and a life without her is not one I want to pursue. I thought we’d all talk seated about this and reach some sort of consensus, but it seems you had other plans,” Ethan says, and her tears fall. Lexy can’t believe it either and she realises that it’s deeper than she thought. Yes, she knows that he loves Lisa, but she didn’t think he loves her enough to choose her over his wife of years. Amo runs out and the man doesn’t stop her. how could he? He knows she’s made up her mind and he’d be lying if he says he’s not hurt.
“You let her leave,” Lexy says. “This is the same woman you chose over me and you let her leave? She’s the mother of two of your kids”
“Do you think it was easy Lexy? I love Amo but I can’t leave Lisa. She put me in a difficult position but when it comes to Lisa, I don’t even have to think about it. I’m going to bed and I can do with a cuddle,” Ethan says then retreats to the stairs. Lexy watches him until he’s no longer visible, his footsteps no longer echoing and follows suit. She takes a deep breath then opens his door, closing it after stepping inside. She can hear the shower running so she decides to join him. She’s a little nervous as she stands right before the shower glass in her birthday suit. What if he wants to shower alone? it used to be their thing back when he was going behind Amo’s back with excuses of checking on Rose but things did change over the years, not their sex life per say but there was a shift somewhere.
“Get in Lexy. I need help with scrubbing my back”
She’s nervous yet excited as she gets in. if there’s anything that Ethan is sure of, is that she’ll never leave him.