Thirteen

“I was thinking of maybe going over the on Friday so we can spend some time together.” Amo tells her husband while sitting on the bed with him grooming his beard.
“Sunday is not that far baby, and you know this is a work thing, I don’t want you complaining about me not having time for you,” Ethan says. It’s bad enough that Lisa’s boyfriend will be there and so having one of his spouses with him would mean he’ll barely have leisure time with Lisa.
“You don’t want me there Ethan, is that what you’re saying?”
“I didn’t say that. Are we fighting?” Ethan asks and Amo scoffs.
“It’s not going to work this time. You’re not going to say that so I can forget about what I was saying. What’s going on Ethan?”
“What’s going on where Amo?”
“Between us. You never have time for me nowadays and even Lexy is complaining.” Amo says.
“Then Nathan better come back to his company so my babies can stop complaining. Let’s go” Ethan says, and they walk out of the bedroom holding hands. Lexy is also home and is watching TV with a glass of wine in hand even though it’s almost 9am.
“Who’s looking after the company if you’re both here?” Ethan asks.
“We wanted to see you off. Four days without sleeping next to you is a lot,” Lexy says.
“I’ll drive you to the airport. Are you coming Lex?” Amo says and Lexy nods, standing up.
“I have to pass by the office first to fetch some files then fetch Nathan’s assistant since she’s leaving with me,” Ethan says. They both only hear ‘she’ and feel a bit like their heads are spinning.
“She?” they ask in unison.
“Yes, is there a problem? Because I don’t want to think my wives don’t trust me” Ethan says looking at the two. The wives exchange glances before looking at their husband with each not having a reply to that.
“I uhm… will drive you to work and to the assistance place. I don’t mind, you still coming?” Amo asks Lexy who nods again. The drive to MW is silent but not awkward.
The wives remain in the car while Ethan gets out to fetch the needed files.
“I hope my gut is wrong about this assistant because there’s no way I’m agreeing to a third wife,” Amo says, breaking the silence.
“You have to trust our husband Amo. I don’t think he would have allowed you to still drive him knowing we’ll get to meet his mistress. Jessi actually likes this girl, so I don’t think he’s doing anything with her.” Lexy says.
“I trusted him around you but look at what happened. I’m not doing that again.” Amo says, meaning every word.
“You kind of don’t have a choice,” Lexy says and concludes with a shrug.
In the office, Ethan decides to call Lisa to give her a heads up. He wishes his wives hadn’t hijacked him like that but there’s nothing he can do about it now. He doesn’t want to give them more reason to suspect something. She picks up almost immediately.
“Yes?” Lisa says.
“Is that how you answer the phone when I’m calling?” Ethan asks and she chuckles.
“I’m sorry sir, didn’t know it was you. Are you coming to get me, or we’ll meet at the airport?”
“I’m coming to get you which is why I’ve called.” Ethan says then sighs.
“Is there a problem?” Lisa asks in slight panic.
“My wives are with me. one volunteered to drive me and the other tagged along. I’m so sorry Lisa but I couldn’t exactly say no because they would have been more suspicious.” Ethan says and for a second, she doesn’t reply, and he wonders if she’s still on the line. “Lisa?”
“It’s OK. When should I expect you? Now?”
“I’m at the office but will be out after this call so in ten- or twenty-minutes max,” Ethan says.
“Alright, see you then. I’m looking forward to meeting your wives,” Lisa says sarcastically and hangs up, almost pissing Ethan off. He hates being hung upon especially when he’s the one who called.
He gives Amo Lisa’s location when he gets in the car and the drive there is in comfortable silence. He’s thinking of how she’s going to react and hopes she won’t think he’s throwing his wives on her face.
“We’ve arrived.” Amo says and he finally snaps out of it.
“I’ll be back in a few,” Ethan says and walks out of the car. He walks into the entrance then to the elevator and presses Lisa’s floor. He then gets out when it’s reached and walks through the corridor to her flat. He knocks about two times before the door opens.
“Hi, are you lost?” Banele asks and if it wasn’t for the similar features he has to Lisa, he’d wonder who the hell he is.
“I’m here for Monalisa,” Ethan says in a monotone.
“Oh, come in then,” Banele says and instead of opening the door wider, he just walks back inside. Ethan lets himself in, not bothered by Banele’s rudeness. He stands in the living room and waits for Lisa to come. She comes pulling her suitcase while the ‘brother’ has her sports and handbag.
“Hi” Lisa says and Ethan nods, taking the suitcase from her. “That wasn’t necessary”
But Ethan doesn’t care anyway. The elevator is filled with awkward silence on the way down. Banele insists on walking Lisa to the car and getting there, helps put her bag in the boot. He then hugs his sister goodbye, planting a kiss on her forehead.
Lisa greets when she gets into the backseat, launching her body next to Lexy’s since Ethan has taken the front seat. She takes out headphones from her bag and plays music all the way to the airport. She’s grateful when the car stops at the airport because she couldn’t breathe clamped up in confinement with the men he loves and the women who share that same sentiment. She can finally breathe when she gets out, the oxygen hitting her lungs like it’s a first time. She looks away when the wives bid their husband farewell and though she’s not witnessing the side with her eyes, it hurts her still. Meeting them had been confirmation that he’s married. Not to one but to two women and even now, it’s still a bitter pill for her to swallow. It has ruined her mood and all the ideas of what they could get up to has slipped her mind.
‘He’s married’ she chants to herself in her mind like she just found out. They say goodbye to her as well and soon after, the two have boarded their flight.
“Are you OK?” Ethan asks Lisa who has been too quiet for his liking.
“I’m fine,” Lisa replies lowly.
“You’re not fine and I don’t blame you. I would never throw my wives in your face Lisa, believe me.”
“I believe you. Seeing them just reminded me that you’re married, and I feel betrayed by my heart for feeling how it does about you while knowing that,” Lisa says, and he brushes her hand.
“I’m sorry,” Ethan says, and she nods.
“Me too. I’m sorry for not caring about what I should, like you being married with a family and for being selfish with my love.”
When she says that, he wishes they weren’t in public so he could kiss her right there and erase all her worries, but he can’t. so, they spend the rest of the flight quiet.
Arriving in Durban, there’s a car Ethan has hired to drive them through the city until they leave for Cape Town. It has a driver because he wouldn’t want to be driving when he could be in the backseat and trying to know this beautiful African woman who’s captured his heart. He takes her hand into his when they get into the car and Lisa lets him.
“Fuck it,” Ethan says and smashes his lips into hers. She’s shocked by this but recovers quickly and replies. The kiss is nothing like she’d imagined, and her heart literally stops when he deepens it. ‘Oh God,’ Lisa moans in her head and with her eyes closed, allows herself to enjoy their first kiss. It’s slow yet hot, filled with love and a declaration of his feelings for her. Her arms are over his neck and his on her back while they kiss. It goes on for over a minute, the pace not changing because they’re not in a hurry. When it’s broken, they’re both panting with swollen lips. Lisa can’t even look into his eyes or hide the blush that has graced her cheeks.
“Wow” Ethan says and somehow, that sums it up.

A/N: Kind reminder that the story is unedited so apologies for any errors encountered previously or those probably to follow. Don't forget to vote and comment , xo