Ten

A month passes and it's almost like the two never confessed their feelings for each other. She's gotten the hang of her schedule and so has never been late or overslept. She's fallen in love with her night classes too and always looks forward to them. She no longer has a problem with heels and has gotten so accustomed to them that she even rocks them during the weekend. The runs have helped too and what used to be a double stomach is well on its way to be being flat. Above all that, she's happy and so is Ethan. His house has gotten peaceful and over the past weeks, his wives have been getting along well. He's almost gotten things under control at MW such that from the beginning of this week, he's only going to be there on Monday, which is today, Wednesday and maybe Fridays. He'll spend the other days at the Williamse law firm which has been under the watchful eyes of his wives.
It's the beginning of May which means it's chilly in the North West Province. She's in thigh high boots, weave held up into a bun with a natural makeup look. She's wearing a black formal dress paired up with a grey blazer with black strips. When she realises, she still has some time left before her boyfriend comes to pick her up, she decides to fry some eggs. She has the eggs with toasted cheese sandwich and a glass of orange juice. He calls right after she downs her juice, so she grabs her bags and goes out, making sure to lock the door. Her brother is coming later today and she's not looking forward to it. He chose to come to her even though he could have gone home so she's not looking forward to being annoyed by him. he's only two years older than her and growing up, they used to fight a lot. The two hardly get along; like water and oil and yet surprisingly, love each other to death.
"Hey beautiful," Bonnie says after Lisa gets into his car.
"Hey"
The two share a brief kiss and he makes sure to start the car right after because he'd rather she be early than late.
"How did you sleep?" he asks.
"Like a baby, you?"
"Hardly did. I had a deadline I had to chase so I couldn't sleep as much as I wanted to. Hey, I hear Banele is coming today. He actually called me and wanted the four of us to go clubbing tonight," he says, making Lisa groan and that leading him into a chuckle.
"That sounds so like him. What does he mean by four?" Lisa asks, clearly annoyed.
"Thuso included. He still has that crush on her," Bonnie says.
"and he can't even act right in his presence. Does he know it's Monday and some of us have to work tomorrow?"
"I don't think he cares. The good thing is, we can take a sick day tomorrow and I'll nurse your hangover for you," Bonnie says with a wink.
"I can't not go. My boss won't be there tomorrow so we can't both be absent." Lisa says. "Knowing him, he'll force me to go out, so I'll have to be on non-alcoholic beverages just to be on the safe side."
Bonnie laughs, remembering how much she's a drunkard. "Non-alcoholic? Wena? I doubt baby"
"You know I can try. I can't afford to lose my job" Lisa says, and Bonnie looks at her amorously. He's proud of how focused she's become and how independence suits her.
"I'll make sure you stick to that"
They kiss again when they arrive at MW and Lisa gets out feeling breathless. Thank God she has no lipstick on. She reapplies her lip butter then walks towards the entrance after bidding her boyfriend goodbye.
"That's your man? I thought you were having a thing with Nathan. He's yummy though," Rachel the receptionist says when she passes by her fort, making her scoff.
"Are there messages for Mr Williamse?" Lisa digresses, trying not to lose her school.
"He's already picked up his messages. You don't have to be so rude you know, I'm on your side" Rachel says, not even thrown back by her demeanour.
"I don't need anyone to be on my side," Lisa says and walks towards the elevator. Rachel just shakes her head and smile. She's liked Lisa since she first came here, one of the few but it seems it's going to take a lot more effort to befriend her.
She finds a note on her desk telling her to go straight to the boss's office when she arrives. Lisa doesn't waste time and rises right after reading it and goes to his door, knocking once then getting in.
"You called for me?" Lisa says after getting in.
"sit down" Ethan says, pointing to the chair before him. Lisa swallows hard and walks towards the chair and sits as per his instruction. Her heart is beating fast, like it always does in his presence and she's finding it hard to breathe. How could he still affect her after this time?
"We have a trip to Durban. We're attending a book launch on Wednesday then there's a business conference on Friday. We'll to a wine tasting event on Saturday night which will be held in Cape Town then come back on Sunday. Be ready." Ethan tells her.
"We as in... you and i?" Lisa dumbly asks.
"Yes, you and I. do you have a problem with that Monalisa?"
She clears her throat then shakes her head. "No, I don't"
"Good because even if you did, we'd still be going. I don't know about you Lisa but I'm looking forward to it."
It's what she thinks of during the rest of her 'shift'. It's spending that much time with her boss and whether she'll be able to survive being with him outside MW premises. She gets a feeling that something is going to happen there and not only does it scare her; it also excites her.
Bonnie comes to pick her up then drives her to the college. He's become her personal chauffeur, always there to drive her to where she needs to be. When all her lessons end, her phone rings, and she rolls her eyes when she sees who's calling.
"Banele"
"Ithi Buti", her brother says on the other end.
"Never. Bonnie told me about the club, no need to call and convince" Lisa says, rolling her eyes.
"I'm in the parking lot baby. I know you missed me" Banele says with a chuckle.
"You wish. How do you even know where I am?" Lisa asks, walking towards the lot. She's not made any friends even though she's been in that class for a month. Most are scared to approach her because of her resting bitch face and she's never bothered knowing anyone other than those she's worked with in some assignments.
"You're my little sister. There's nothing going on in your life that I don't know about," Banele says then hangs up.
"Shorty!" he exclaims when he sees her walking towards his car. He walks towards her then lifts her up and gives her a twirl. He then puts her down and kisses her cheek. "Damn I missed you. How have you been?"
She's surprised by this Banele who genuinely seems happy to see her, which is a first.
"What's going on with you? Are you drunk or dying?" Lisa asks, clearly taken aback by his demeanour.
"You don't know how I missed you man Shorty. It's been two straight years, come on" he says, pulling her cheeks. "I hear you're working now so first round is on you?"
"Wait, you really missed me?" Lisa asks and he chuckles.
"Yes Monalisa. I missed you more than the other kid. Are you going to change or you're leaving like that?"
"No, this is way too formal. I need to shower too"
They catch up on the way to her apartment and she gets to hear some of the things he's been up to in absentia and boy, has he gotten up to a lot.
Lisa finds her brother chilling with Thuso after her shower who's laughing her arse off at whatever he's told her. she's showered, gotten dressed and has even done her makeup to a notch.
"It's just a club Mona, come on" Banele says and Lisa just chuckles.
"You're still the only one who calls me that" she says, forgetting to acknowledge her best friend.
"Am I invisible?" Thuso jokingly asks.
"Oh sorry babe. You look amazing" Lisa says and the two share an embrace.
"Be sure to grab your license sis. You're the one driving" Banele tells her and they all leave to his car since Bonnie will be meeting them at the club. The drive is filled with loud music and even louder conversations and suddenly it feels like it's not even Monday night.