Twenty-four

The makeup doesn’t do well in hiding her puffy eyes and Amo notices but doesn’t raise it up yet. They’re having breakfast and she knows how forward Rose can be. The last thing she wants is the little girl rubbing her nose in adult business that doesn’t include her. she’s overprotective of her mother but acts like Lexy is her age at most time. Maybe it’s the kind of relationship they have but for a child who isn’t even a teen, it’s inappropriate.
“Are you working late again?” Amo asks her husband who shrugs. “That’s not the answer I’m expecting. Will you join us for dinner at least?”
“I’ll try to,” Ethan says, terminating the conversation. Amo leaves with the kids, leaving Lexy to clear up the table and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Ethan also decides that the first wife’s departure is perfect from the conversation he was too tired to have yesterday. He feels bad seeing the state Lexy is in but there’s no way he’ll deny what he feels for Lisa. He would never be able to.
“Monalisa, is it?” Lexy begins and he nods. “You love her?”
“Yes,” Ethan replies.
“So much that you’re willing to risk it all for her?” the man sighs and nods, leaving Lexy in disbelief. “Wow Ethan. Just wow. Were we not satisfying you enough that you fell for her? is there something she’s giving you that we aren’t because I’m failing to see how it happened,” Lexy says.
“You and I both know that’s not how love works Lexy. I didn’t choose to fall for her, it just happened. I tried denying what I felt but just couldn’t because I knew. I knew the first time I set my eyes on her what I felt. It was a connection I couldn’t decipher or deny. She made my heart fucken skip Lexy and had me feeling like we’re the only ones that matter. My heart didn’t consult me when it chose her knowing I have two wives. There was no way I would have skipped it.” Ethan says and she takes a moment to consider his words.
“More than us. You love her more than us.” It’s more a statement than question so he doesn’t see the need to reply to that. “Does Nathan know?” he shakes his head. “What are your intentions with this girl then? Nathan knew when we were fucking so why are you keeping her a secret?”
“I’m not keeping her a secret. Nathan and I haven’t spoken in a while and this woman happens to be his assistant.” Ethan says in an almost snap. Lexy snickers.
“Wow so I’m assuming that Jacky’s husband knows? Surely you haven’t been keeping her from your best friend”
Ethan doesn’t reply to that and the coloured woman nods. “When’s the wedding then?”
“Hopefully before the end of this year. I’ll have to talk to her first then Amo,” Ethan says, making Lexy groan.
“It was a mocking joke Ethan. I didn’t expect you to be serious about her!” she grunts.
“Me too,” Ethan says. “Are you coming with me or should I leave you behind?”
She feels the sting on her hand before she realises what it did. He looks at her in the same disbelief plastered on her face then chuckles.
“I… I’m sorry,” Lexy pleads. “I didn’t mean to…”
“How many women have been hit with that crap Lexy or is it only right when it’s the woman hitting the man? What did I say about those slaps?”
“I know I just…”
“Cut the excuses!” he interjects. “I’m not your fucken punching back dammit!”
He clicks his tongue and retreats out already feeling the bruise that’s surely on his cheek. He realises that Lexy does give a mean slap.
Ethan calls his secretary after getting in his car and tells him to clear of his day’s schedule. He takes an opposite direction to where the man who made his woman cry works.
“Mr Williamse,” Elle says when Ethan gets out of his car right after her. He’s parked his car on one of the parking spaces reserved for the executives. This behaviour doesn’t surprise Elle.
“I’m not in the mood Elle. I’m a man on a mission,” Ethan says, and the short woman follows him to the agency’s entrance.
“What’s going on Ethan?” the middle-aged woman asks.
“I’m not here for you Elle and I prefer Mr Williamse,” Ethan snaps. Elle is taken aback by his rage and wonders who’d been brave enough to mess with him. She hopes whoever that is won’t affect the company in anyway because the shareholders would have her by the balls if the share price declines. He manoeuvres through the agency’s premises like he owns the place, not even bothering to knock when he let’s himself into Bonnie’s office. The younger male can’t hide his shock. Ethan doesn’t waste a second as he lunges towards him, chocking him upon reach.
“I am going to say this once and better make sure I don’t have make it practical. Stay away from Monalisa. Don’t text her, don’t call her and don’t even come at a 5km radius of her presence. From this moment moving forward, she doesn’t exist to you. Don’t even try me boy because you’ll get what you’re searching for,” Ethan grunts through his teeth and lets go, the man panting and coughing after the lack of oxygen. Ethan clicks his tongue then struts out of the room. He drives to MW after getting in his car, needing to check on Lisa personally and ensure that she’s OK.
Whispers go around as it usually happens when he gets into this building. Cooing sounds of ladies among other things. He doesn’t give anyone attention until he’s in the floor of his twin brother’s office and until he’s standing by Lisa’s desk. The cologne that hits her nostrils makes her aware of his presence and with a gasp, she looks up at her lover then towards her boss’s office before her eyes settle back on Ethan.
“You shouldn’t be here,” Lisa breathes.
“I should be saying that to you after last night. How are you?” Ethan asks in concern.
“Fine but really Ethan. I don’t want to lose my job,” Lisa nervously says.
“That’s not going to happen baby. Let me take you out for lunch,” Ethan says and her eyes shoot.
“No!” she retorts and he looks at her with a raised eyebrow. “it’s too risky”
“Too risky for who? Actually, let me speak to your boss so he can let you out now,” Ethan says, all ready to retreat to Nathan’s office.
“No Ethan. Please. This is my job and you’re messing with it. I happen to love it so please…” she begs with her eyes on his and he sighs.
“Fine. I’ll have something delivered to you and you better eat if you know what’s good for you”
With that said, he proceeds to an expectant Nathan’s office. He’d discreetly watched the exchange while wondering what business his twin has with his assistant.
“Took you long enough,” Nathan murmurs and his twin only shrugs.
“You good?” Ethan asks in little interest. His mind is still on Lisa. He can’t help wondering if she’s fine.
“Yeah, should be asking you that. what happened to your cheek?” Nathan asks, his eyes focused on his MacBook.
“Lexy happened” Ethan says and that grabs Nathan’s attention.
“Why?” the beardless man asks.
“Why are you interested?” Ethan asks and he chuckles.
“Spill the tea man. Is it because of my assistant? That conversation you just had with her seemed personal. Are you fucking her?” Nathan asks with a serious face.
“Don’t start your shit with me Nathan. My personal business is none of your business,” Ethan snaps.
He chuckles again. “So you are and I’m assuming Lexy knows. That was quick man. Is she wife number three? Amo will so leave you, let’s bet,” Nathan says but Ethan merely throws him a gaze. “Lexy won’t. that one is your ride or die. She’ll probably sulk then you’ll fuck her into a good mood. Your life deserves to be a soap opera”
“This is why I don’t like coming to you,” Ethan murmurs.
“Oh really? You love me dude,” Nathan says then laughs. “How did you get her? Lisa seems to be a woman with a good head on her shoulders.”
“I want to take leave with her,” Ethan says, diverting from his question.
“You really don’t value your marriage neh” Nathan comments. “I thought you love Amo. Do you want her to hear about it from someone else? She won’t think twice before leaving you.”
“Borrow us your office then,” Ethan says and his twin scoffs.
“Never. I should get it sanitized because who knows what you two did here. You can leave with her but it’s your funeral man. She can take the rest of the day off”’
Ethan doesn’t bother with gratitude but instead scurries out of his office. He grabs Lisa’s bag who’s shocked until her desk telephone rings.
“You can leave,” Nathan says right after she answers in a tone that tells her he knows. She swallows then puts the phone back.
“Let’s go Lisa. I have you for the rest of today and I plan to make it worthwhile,” Ethan says. When the shock fades, she gets on her feet and follows him out.