Chapter 1

Mia
5th grade, 10 years old

I kick the dirt with my pink converse and huff. I hate boys. I hate them so much I wanna puke. I just finished trying out for the kickball team at my school. It went great, I kicked their asses... wait no..butts. I was so fast none of these losers were even able to tag me. I even kicked a home run! The ball went flying over the gate into the soccer field, where someone had to jump a gate to get it. I ran all the bases and skidded into home before the idiot even made it back over the gate.

I scratched my knee and scuffed the glitter glue on the toe of my shoe I just painted on last night and no one even cheered for me. Luckily I was wearing jeans that already had ripped knees from playing four square during recess or I would have been even more upset. Tryouts are over now and we were dismissed with instructions to check our classroom emails next week to see who made the team. I see my sister's Jeep parked along the field's curb as I grab my purple backpack and yank my water bottle out of the side pocket. It's a new one I got specifically for kickball, it's pink with a big sparkly purple M on the front. I love sparkles.

My thoughts are interrupted when I look up to see three boys standing in front of me. I shove my water bottle back into my backpack and hoist it onto my shoulders.

"Can I help you?" I ask. It's the beginning of the school year and there are a lot of new kids so I haven't had a chance to meet everyone yet. I do recognize them as some of the losers who tried out with me, though, I can't remember their names.

"You did really great today. I hope you make the team with us," the shorter of the three replies. I say short but he's still a good head taller than me. He has brown hair, brown eyes and he's wearing all black athletic clothes and shoes. I don't love black. Unless it's sparkly.

"With you? How do you know you already made the team?"

One of the taller ones laughs like I made a joke. As I look at him I realize there are two of him. Twins, that's cool. Too bad he's stupid.

"Because we're really good at kickball," Giggly Twin A responds. He has really straight teeth and his smile is bright.

"Huh I must have not been paying attention during the 'good' parts then because I only saw some average talent out there." I put finger quotes around the word good so he knows I'm being sarcastic.. he's stupid so I don't want to confuse him.

Twin B who hasn't spoken yet doubles over laughing holding his stomach. Brown haired guy just smiles big at me. I don't really understand why they find it so funny I just offended them, but I'm proud. Usually my sisters never find me funny.

Twin B gets himself under control and stands straight again.

"You ok giggles?" I ask very sincerely.

Twin A now bends over and laughs and brown haired guy just smiles bigger. Well these dudes are weird. I start heading around them towards my sister, but brown hair side steps in front of me. He puts his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Trevor."

Now that he's closer I see one of his ears is pierced and his brown eyes are kinda sparkled with gold... I really like them.

I shake his hand firmly like my Uncle Benji taught me, "Mia."

Twin B who still hasn't spoken yet shoulders Trevor out of the way and grabs my hand. His hand is so huge mine disappears.

"I'm Sebastian, but everyone calls me Bash."

He smiles and his teeth are bright and pretty like his brother's. I have to crane my neck to look up at him . He's really tall and bigger than any 5th grader I've ever seen. He's blonde with hair lighter then my dirty blonde and has bright blue eyes. No sparkles, but I still like them. He lets go of my hand and grabs his brother by the shirt to drag him in front of me. I put my hand back out and Twin A grabs it quickly bringing it to his mouth and kisses the back of my hand. I rip my hand out of his grip and kick his shin.

Trevor and Bash are now both doubled over laughing and I really don't think it's funny. I turn to go after one of them and Twin A puts his arm out, blocking my access to his friends shins.

"I'm sorry don't be mad. I'm Liam, it's nice to meet you Mia. We will leave you alone now."

He doesn't even seem to be affected by my kick. I know it had to have hurt, but he's just staring at me smiling.

"Bye losers!" I wave my hand over my head already walking away.

A chorus of byes and see you laters ring out behind me but I don't look back.

I get to my sisters car and she's hanging out the window like a loon.

"Why did you just kick him? Do I need to go have a talk with those boys?"

She's opening her car door before I can even make it to the passenger side. I get in and slam my door then lean over the console and grab her arm.

"Get in, you're embarrassing me!!" I shriek.

She stands a minute longer staring at Trevor, Bash and Liam as they wave and smile at her. She finally gets back in the car and shuts her door. She turns to me and I say, "don't even ask," before she has the chance to open her mouth.

I really, really hope those stupid giggling losers don't make the team, but I really, really hope I do.