[4]

After final period I left Mackenzie with the girls she had seemed to click with from Freya's group of friends. She didn't really seem in the mood to spend more time with me than necessary anyway. In fact, ever since lunch period she's been less than interested in interacting with me. She didn't try to make any form of conversation, or ask about soccer. To be honest she kind of just stared forwards, her eyes the colour of a heavy storm cloud.

I needed to head to the sports centre to see when Coach had posted football trials and I couldn't be bothered having to deal with her bitchy attitude so I didn't come back to her class after school ended. She might be drop dead gorgeous, and she might be the most attractive girl I've ever laid eyes on, but if she's that easily influenced by what people say she really isn't worth my time and effort.

As captain it's my duty to make the team aware and to remind people in their gym classes to look at the board and sign up. Everyone in JV has to retrial to see if they push into the varsity squad and are held to the exact same standard as a newbie trying out. Varsity players don't have to retrial due to the team training through summer, but it is encouraged for them to show up.

They will be treated just like Mackenzie will be by my coach if she even bothers to show up.

I checked the board and saw that trials are going to be Wednesday and I posted the date in the soccer group chats. I even went as far as to move the sheet from the bulletin board and stuck it up on the entrance of the gym, where there was the greatest chance of it being seen on the Tuesday.

My plan seems to have worked, because I'm stood on the field beside my coach, staring back at over forty girls aged between fourteen and eighteen. My dark hair is pulled back into a high ponytail, my signature white headband holding my baby hairs out of my eyes. I wouldn't usually wear shin pads to training, but today I need to set an example to everyone here so I've decided to wear them along with a brand new pair of Nike mercurial cleats with ankle guards I treated myself to for the new season.

"Welcome to try outs ladies!" My coach, a strong, takes no shīt kind of woman called Coach Sanders is stood beside me, her hands clasped behind her back as she looks onwards at the crowd of potentials and current members of the squad. "You have two hours to prove to me you belong in one of the two soccer teams. There will be no call backs, there will be no second chances, you have one chance to show to me you're good enough!"

My eyes scan the crowds, gratefeul to see some familiar faces. Whilst it's not necessary for the varsity squad to come to trials, it shows Coach you're serious about playing, and it gives us an excuse to pull on our cleats and kick the ball about for two hours. I see April in the crowd, her hair piled into a bun onto her head and her face set in determination. Raven DeNiro's jet black hair is being kept out of her eyes by a thick headband, black eyepaint underneath her eyes. Freya is stood to the right, her face looking slightly nervous as she leans towards Mackenzie and says something to her.

I grin to myself when I finally let my gaze rest on her, glad that whatever dislike she has for me hasn't stopped her from trialling for the team. Her pale blonde hair is in french braids that skim her shoulders. She's wearing a tight white nike dry fit and black training shorts that show off every dip and curve of her athletic body. I see that she's removed her nose piercing, a small bump on her right nostril the only proof that it was ever there in the first place.

I can't help but feel jealousy at the sight of her cleats. They're the brand new Nike phantoms, cleats that cost over two hundred dollars. They were the cleats I almost bought before settling on the ones I'm wearing, and looking at her wearing them makes me both glad I didn't buy them, and annoyed because they look so great. I return my eyes to her face to see her grey eyes already looking my way, her jaw clenched and her face pinched.