TWENTY-ONE

TWENTY-ONE

It was a strange situation, almost as though I was having an outer-body experience. Never in my life had I imagined to be sitting in a upscale restaurant where they served five meals, fine drinks with Link Dane in front of me. It seemed like someone crafted this image just to laugh at the bizarre mix up. Something like this should never be happening but alas, here I was, dining with Link Dane.

And we had finished our meal and now we were just sitting and staring at each other. It was like neither of us had any shame. "I could stare at you all night." He said out loud.

I shot him a smile.

"But we both know I'm not wasting my night with you like that." He carried on, his other intention becoming very obvious. I saw him glance down at my shirt several times during the night, each time becoming harder for him to keep himself together. With the amount of sudden moves and inability to sit still gave him away.

"You're awfully confident you'll bed me tonight." I told him with a laugh. "I don't put out on the first date."

Link smirked. "We already had sex. More than once. We skip the normal steps."

A heated blush overpowered my face. Talking about sex in public was never something I could do. Call me old-fashioned, away from the sheets I was a lot more shy than I made it seem. And Link was taking advantage of it. "How about we try my bedroom floor this time?"

I placed my cheek in my hand, attempting to mask the furious blush as I answered him. "How about we have a normal conversation people have on dates?"

"We're not normal, are we though?"

I reached for my water and took a sip.

"We're parents to a beautiful daughter. Only thing we need to do now is get married."

Water sputtered out of my mouth and all over the table. "We are not getting married." I choked out.

Link smiled his usually curly smile at me. I suddenly found myself hating that smile. "When do you have to get back to work?" He asked out of the blue, ignoring his comment like it didn't matter as much.

"Erm, I'm kind of self-employed but I have to get a set minimum of hours in soon to be on top of it. Or else, I'll b drowning in so much work that it'll be near impossible to come out top of it. " Too much detail that I'm sure Link had no interest in.

"So you can work from here?" He asked casually.

I nodded. "As long as I got a laptop and my files, I can pretty much work anywhere."

"That's good. You can move here then."

Another choke. "Excuse me?"

Link looked at me and repeated his words slowly even though I heard him loud and clear the first time. "You can move here."

I let out a small laugh. "You're really funny tonight."

"What? I'm just saying."

"I'm not moving back to this city. In fact, I'm leaving in the next few days. Benji got his guns, he'll be off my case and I got the papers of my Father's Will nearly concluded. I think I might be gone tomorrow even!"

I was babbling again but I noticed the second Link's eyes darkened. "Benji's guns?" He repeated coolly.

Shit. I didn't want him to know about that!

"Hm?" I said, looking around the whole restaurant expect at him.

"What guns?"

I waved my hand at him. "No guns! I'm just-"