Chapter 13

Throughout my life, I always thought about what my first date would be like

Throughout my life, I always thought about what my first date would be like. Would we be at a fancy restaurant where I would wear a nice dress or would we be casual and walk through a park holding hands and laughing the whole time? Would I feel like a princess at the end of the night who would get her Prince Charming or would I end up being disappointed and never speak to the guy again? I always hoped it was the first option. That was what my fairytale dream was all about. Pretty, fancy, easy, and stable. But ordinary, very ordinary and basic. No passion or desire for more. It's what I thought life had to be like for me. But once I got a glimpse of what other people's lives are and got a taste of what else was out there in the world, my entire life changed.

It first started when I traveled to Botswana two summers ago and instantly knew I wanted to be a great doctor. I knew right then and there that I wanted to change my life and make it the best life I could. I didn't want to end up like my parents and be stuck in my town forever. I don't want to be basic anymore.

The next time was that Wednesday night at the UT party during first week. The night I first locked eyes with the guy with brown pools standing by the wall exhaling smoke. I don't know how I could see his eyes so clearly in the dimly lit room, but something in his eyes spoke to mine and I have been hooked since. After that night, Tre always filled my mind. And that brought on a lot of thoughts and feelings that I have never experienced yet.

I wished that I would eventually meet someone, but I didn't except it to be the first week of my college life. I know it's still too early to think of anything happening between us, but I can at least hope. Although, that hasn't always worked or for me in the past. I just don't want Tre to let me down, but I also don't want to let Tre down. He seems like he has so much more experience and I'm just me, who doesn't have any. I hadn't even held hands with a guy before, let alone anything else. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes down to that stuff.

"Where are we going?" I ask Tre as we walk towards Main Street.

"What's your favorite food to eat?" He turns his head towards me.

I think for a moment for answering, "Pasta."

He nods and puts his hands in his jeans pockets. "There's a really good authentic Italian place around the corner."

"You'd know better than I would," I reply. "I don't really come downtown very much."

"It's not the best place to be at, especially at night." He looks around the street as we walk like he's making sure nothing is out of the ordinary. I've noticed he does that a lot. No matter where he's at, he always glances around the area multiple times before he grows less tense and relaxes more.

"Well at least I have you here to protect me," I joke and nudge his side lightly with my elbow.

He chuckles and moves away from my elbow. "I got you, don't worry."