Chapter 16

Riding up the elevator of the hospital, memories of Zivon flooded my mind. I clutched the small, black velvet box in my hand. The elevator dinged to a stop, and I stepped out into the fridged hospital air. The smell of chemicals clung to my nose, and I suddenly remembered why I despised hospitals- the smell. 

     Feliks led the way, and I followed having no idea where it go. 

     We reached a pale wooden door labeled C318, and Feliks came to a stop. 

     "Wait out here, I'm going to tell him your coming in," Feliks spoke, and then disappeared into the room.

     I rested my head against the smooth, white tile of the wall, and was able to hear their muffled voices from inside.

     "I told you Feliks. I don't want to meet this Nova bitch," Zivon's voice was foreign, unrecognizable. 

     "To bad. You have to see her. You would never forgive yourself if you didn't," Feliks was pushing him, and I was worried as to how Zivon would respond.

     I shouldn't be here. He doesn't want to see me. My head felt fuzzy, and I began to walk down the hallway. I moved as fast as my legs would carry me, but trying not to run. 

     I hear the door open, and Feliks called my name.

Zivon's POV: "Don't Feliks. He doesn't even want to see me," A feminine voice echoed down the hallway. I recognized it. It was as if it had existed once, only in my mind. Was that Nova? 

     I was ripping IV's from my arms before I knew what I was doing, and I was running out of the room. 

     My legs were weak, my head spinning. But it was worth it. Just to get a glimpse of her. When I saw the tumbling pink curls turn away from me, I lost my words. 

     A strange croak came from my throat, and her head twirled around. When I met her infinite eyes, I fell to my knees. Somehow, I was now the weakest man in the world.

     I was overpowered with emotions. I don't even recognize them. They're not sadness, or anger. What else could they be? 

     "Nova," I breathed. With in a second, she was running towards me. She helped my up, and then collapsed into my arms. I looked at Feliks over Nova's shoulder, mouthing 'Thank you' to him. He simply nodded. 

     Everything was happening so fast, I didn't understand it. It was like fast forwarding a TV or something.

     I was free of a crushing cage I hadn't even known I was in, and the freedom I felt from it consumed me. 

     Suddenly, Nova pulled away from me. I didn't want her to, but I got the feeling she wasn't going anywhere. 

     She held up her small hand, a black box contained in it. 

     "I was going to give you this before..." She trailed off. Her voice was weak, raspy and timid. 

     "What is it?" I asked, and she shrugged her shoulders.

     "Just open it."

     I pulled the box open, revealing a silver cross necklace. I wouldn't say I'm the religious type, but I do believe things like crosses can help protect someone. 

     "I love it," I said, looking up at her. She smiled, and I wanted to say it over and over again just for her to smile.  

     I pulled her into me, kissing her. I needed her. I missed her. I thought she had left me.

     "What was the writing on the mirror from?" I asked, at first not even knowing if I had said it out loud. 

     "You mean the one from when I first tried to escape out the window?" she asked. 

     "Oh," was all I could say. It made sense. That was what Feliks had tried to tell me. 

      It hurt. The feelings hurt. Guilty, shame, anger. How could I do this?  I was to stuck in my own head to see reason, and she got hurt because of me. 

     "I'm so sorry," I choked out. She nodded her head. I pulled away, looking her over. Bruised painted her face, arms, and neck. Areas on her skin were scabbing over now. I could only imagine the pain she had been in, all because of me. 

     This was my fault, all of it. She can't be around me, I will destroy her. I made up my mind- I had to force her to leave me. I knew it would hurt me more than any physical pain, but I had to. I'm sorry Nova- It's for you, I promise.