13| Buy You a Rose

And so I'm just a boy who's telling a girl
That when I grow up I'll buy you a rose

AJR, Buy You a Rose

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Scarlett's POV

"I'm glad we're finally on Thanksgiving break... Took forever to get here." I say, sighing.

"I'm excited to do nothing but sleep in for the next five days," Ethan says.

I wrap my arms around his and ask, "And to spend time with me?"

"Sure..." Ethan says in a sarcastic tone.

I fake frown and move away from him. "Wow. I feel hurt." I say. I tie on my apron without Ethan's help, and he gently grasps my wrist.

"You know I was kidding," Ethan says, untying my apron.

"I have it handled without you," I say, swatting his hand away. I glance at his face and see he's pouting at me. Awwwww. I feel myself smile and try to stop it. Dammit, keep it together, Scarlett!

He cups my face and murmurs against my lips, "Of course, I want to spend time with you over break."

He gently brushed his lips against mine, and I felt the butterflies in my stomach explode. You just murdered a bunch of butterflies. How dare you?

He randomly pulls away and says, "I have a surprise for you."

"Ooh..." I say, wiggling my eyebrows. He laughs, and I ask, "Is it food? I could go for some chips right now."

"I'll give it to you when I drop you off. So if you don't like it, I can run to my car and drive away." He says nervously.

"I'm sure it's not that bad," I laugh.

A group of people come in, and we take their orders. "Hi, what would you like to order?" I ask.

"Just a chocolate chip muffin and water, please." He says.

After he pays, Ethan hands him the chocolate chip muffin while I grab him a bottle of water. He sits at a booth, and we serve the next customer.

"Hello there..." An old guy says with a smirk.

I force a smile and ask, "What can I get you?" This guy seems creepy.

"How about a date with you?" He asks.

"Sorry, I'm not on the menu. But we just made some raspberry scones. Fresh out of the oven!" I say. You should eat one during your break. Good idea!

"I'll take two of those. So that's for sure a no on that date?" He asks. Ya, a definite no.

"She said she's not interested," Ethan says gruffly.

"I'm already taken," I say politely.

After he pays for his scones, Ethan shoves the bag into his chest. "Have a good day." He deadpans.

When it's just us inside the cafe, I reach for his hand and kiss his knuckles. "It's funny people are only interested when I'm taken." I joke.

"They're just jealous they can't have what I have." He says, bringing me closer to his chest.

"I am yours alone. I'm not going anywhere." I say, placing a trail of kisses on his neck.

Mrs. Cooper walks in and says, "I told you guys no PDA unless you're on break."