6| 3 AM

And all is well
But I'm scared as hell
That you won't like me in the morning
That you won't like me the way that I like you

AJR, 3 AM

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Scarlett's POV

It's homecoming week, and there has been so much drama about homecoming dates and parties. But for me, absolute silence of who will accompany me. You always go with your friends! I know. I just wish I could be one of those people with a corsage. It's embarrassing to buy my own and slow dance with the air.

I'm in the classroom before the bell rings and see Ethan and Layla are already there.

"Hey!" I say, sitting beside their desks.

"Do you two have last-minute homecoming dates?" Ethan asks.

"Fuck you," I say, rolling my eyes. While remembering our conversation a few days ago, he chuckles at my misery.

"I'm going with no one so I can dance with all the single ladies," Layla says, smirking.

We continued to talk until class started, and I sat up in my seat when the teacher started class. You still have a chance, you know. To do what exactly...? Ask him. Another rejection? Even as friends, he'd probably say no, in a sweet way, of course.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

While we're eating lunch, we also finalize plans for tomorrow. "We could take pictures at Green Pine Park," Layla says.

"Then, after the dance, we can head to my place?" Hunter asks.

"Of course, it's tradition," Harper says excitedly.

"What's your guys' tradition?" Ethan asks.

"You're joining us, right?" Hunter asks.

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to intrude on a tradition." He says sheepishly.

"Please, it'll be fun." I persuade. "We literally just watch movies all night and eat pizza."

Ethan pauses for a moment and says, "Well, if there's a pizza, I guess I'll go."

"Yay!" I say, clapping. He softly smiles at my reaction, and I feel nervous under his gaze. The bell rings, ending my trance, and we all separate for class.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

"Were you unsuccessful in finding a date for tomorrow?" I ask Ethan as he opens the car door for me.

"Are you asking me to go with you?" He asks me with a smirk.

"No," I answer defensively, rolling my eyes. "Layla was wondering." I lie.

"Right..." He says, chuckling.

"I don't have a date..." He says, backing out of the parking lot.

"Really? You don't have girls lining up to ask you?" I ask, biting back a grin.

"Guess they all chickened out." He says, shrugging.