Chapter Ten

"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures." -Lovelle Drachman

Waking up the next morning, butterflies were fluttering in my stomach as I kept on thinking about the next two weeks. I've never been to these places so I don't have a clue what I'm getting into. Last night Haze text me, saying she'll be picking me up at six.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and rushed to get ready. All my bags are packed it's just trying to find clothes to wear that aren't already packed. But thankfully, I found a pair of shorts in the corner of my closet and my softball jersey. Once I'm completely dressed, I head to the kitchen and fix myself some breakfast. Right after I take my first bite of bagel with cream cheese, the door bell rings. I groan internally at the thought of leaving my bagel to be in a vehicle for the next, I don't know how many, hours. I swing the front door open to see Haze with her black hair swept into a messy bun, her dark eyes sparkling, and a smirk on her face. Save me now.

Haze's eyes scan down my outfit and her smirk widens when she notices my jersey. "Nice shirt." She tells me. I roll my eyes and pick up my first bag. "It was the only thing I could find." I try to defend myself. Haze mumbles something that I can't understand before picking up my last bag.

"I'm leaving!" I yell before closing the front door.

With our bags packed in the trunk, Haze starts to head down to Route 5, but when she makes a left, I raise an eyebrow.

"You do realize we're going the wrong way, right?" I ask her.

My best friend smirks and tightens her hold on the steering wheel.

"Yup." Haze winks at me and presses on the gas. I roll my eyes and roll down the window. I don't know what the hell we're going to do with this road trip. The wind blows through my hair and I have to tie up my blonde curls to keep them from flying in my face. Haze pulls down and the left blinker starts to flash.

"Why are we stopping here, Haze?" I ask her in panic mode.

Haze doesn't answer my question, but instead, drives down the gravel drive way. When she parks her car, she slowly turns to look at me with a guilty look on her face. She should be guilty because I know exactly what she's doing.

"Okay," She begins with her hands up in surrender position. "Don't kill me in my sleep tonight. Just hear me out." Haze suddenly stops talking. "Come on then, explain." I bark.

Haze opens her mouth but someone stops her.

"Good morning, ladies. It's a wonderful day for a road trip, don't you think?"

I turn around from looking at Haze, to see Carter smirking at me with a duffel bag strap on his shoulder. You got to be kidding me.

"Morning, Carter." Haze chirps happily. I don't say anything. I keep my mouth closed with my arms crossed over my chest. Haze pinches my arm and a squeal escapes my lips. I give her the death glare while she pinches me again. I turn to face Carter. He still stands there with a smirk on his face.

"Good morning, Carter." I grumble under my breath.

Carter smiles and cocks his head to the side. "Sorry, Mackenzie, I didn't exactly hear what you said."

I scowl at his suggestion of wanting me to say good morning louder for him. It is not a good morning. I swear I will kill Haze in her sleep.

"Shut up."

Carter laughs and pats my head as if I was a dog.

"Sorry, no can do." He says.

I then just so happen to look up right when Ashton closes his front door. Perfect, two weeks with Ashton and Carter. Anything can happen.