Chapter Forty-four

"The worst feeling isn't being lonely, it's being forgotten by someone you'd never forget."

Working at Roadside is different compared to working at Animal Care Shop. When I used to work at Animal Care Shop, there would be days that a single customer would not come inside. Not many people worked there, too. It usually consisted of me, Amy, Sill, and a few teenagers that helped out. The pay was perfectly fine for me since I only had to pay for my car insurance and not housing bills.

Everything has now taken a sharp turn.

It's strange when I stop at the mail area and open my small box to see a white envelope requesting a specific amount of money. It's also strange seeing how fast my saved up money is going down the drain. Amy and I started getting take out for dinner the first month, but that quickly changed. We now have certain days that we have to fix breakfast and dinner for each other.

Roadside can get crazy on Friday nights. Okay, I take it back. Roadside can get crazy on most nights. Amy and I don't usually see each other at the late hours since I'm waitressing and she's singing her heart out. But the crowd loves it when Amy goes up on the small stage to perform.

I got my first paycheck a few days ago, and the relief I felt was instant. Amy and I quickly put our money together and sent out all the bills. I filled my car's tank up and treated myself to some frozen yogurt later in the day.

My phone buzzes in the pocket of my jeans. I look around to see if anyone is about to come in and request a table. Nope, I have time to check my phone. Pulling my phone out, I smile wide at who text me. It feels like forever since the last time we've talked. I don't want it to feel this way.

Ashton: how's the new job?

I look around again before replying.

MC: different. in a good way though. have meet a lot of new people.

His response is instant, making me chuckle. I respond back by telling him that I haven't fallen in love with some kitchen guy. We text each other for a few more minutes until I look up and see a family walking in. I shove my phone back into my jean pocket.

"Hi, welcome to Roadside. How many?" I ask.

The mother gives me a strained smile as she struggles with the chubby toddler that's in her arms. Her husband steps forward and tells me four. Knowing the number table that they need, I grab the dry eraser marker and draw an 'X' on Table 12.

"I'll show you your table." I say to them with their correct amount of menus in my hand.

The family sits down at the table I have for them and opens their menus after I pass it to them.

"Your waiter will be Dean, and he'll be here in a few moments for your order of drinks." And here come the nerves. Joan told me that I'll have to recite the specials we have whenever I do this. I also get nervous about forgetting something. "Today's specials are a free beer if your order the prime rib from 5-6, and happy hour is from 5-7."

I give the small family a smile and turn on my heel to walk away. Once they can't see my face, I breathe out a sigh of relief and head back to the hostess podium. Holly is standing there, twirling the marker and staring off into space.

"Don't look too concentrated." I joke.

Holly rolls her eyes and stops twirling the marker. "Today has been kind of slow. I took tomorrow off because my parents are coming in to visit me. Seems like each minute is taking forever."

I lean against the podium. "I know how you feel, but it'll be over soon. What time you get off?"

"Around seven." She says, giving me a smile while setting down the marker.