Chapter 66

They were in a room.

Just the two of them, alone- but not quite. The chamber was massive, and it could have seemed empty. But it was quite full with the happy energy pulsing through the room. Ivy was sitting in the large bed, blankets covering her, as Rowan sat next to her both of their eyes focused on something in Ivy's arms, obscured from me by Ivy's long, dark hair, hanging over it.

I shifted, and it became clear what they were staring at. A baby.

A young child, wrapped in white, a tuft of light brown hair already growing out of it's forehead. Laurel? It had to be. She was their firstborn. She gurgled happily as Ivy rocked her back and forth gently. "Let me hold her." My father said gently.

Ivy smiled up at him and said, "Careful." She passed Laurel to him. He stared down in wonder at the baby, tenderness written all over his regal face. "She's beautiful." He said. "That she is." Ivy agreed.

"What should we name her?" Rowan asked, tilting his head to the side. "I have a list of names. You can choose." Ivy said, leaning over and picking up a piece of parchment. She started to pass it to him, but he shook his head. "No, I want us to think of a name on our own."

"Well, then, what do you want to name her?" Ivy asked. Rowan cupped his hand over the child's head gently. "She's going to be Queen one day. So something to do with victory." They were both silent, pondering.

Finally Ivy suggested, "Laurel? Like the wreaths winners are given in competitions?" My father smiled brightly. "It's perfect. Just like her. And just like you, my dear. Laurel it is! Our heir." He kissed the baby's forehead, and then Ivy's.

"Thank you." He said. "For what?" Ivy asked, still smiling up at him. "For her. For us, For all of this. You're truly amazing." Rowan said. Ivy blushed. Her pale cheeks grew pink at the compliment, and she said, "So are you."

"But you more so." Rowan said.

Ivy opened her mouth to speak, but a knock sounded on the closed doors. "Come in." The couple said in unison. Guards opened the door to four more elves. My grandparents, their faces anxious.

Oren, Ivy's father, looked the most worried. They rushed in to look at their first grandchild, and Ivy and Rowan smiled seeing their excitement. "She's absolutely lovely. What have you named her?" Cypress, the old Queen, asked. Ivy smiled at her mother-in-law. "Laurel."

"Laurel. Fitting for a Queen." Malus, my paternal grandfather and the former King said, smiling proudly at the child who was to carry on the Elowen line. "Oh, she's beautiful. Let me see her." Magnolia, Ivy's mother, said.

Rowan gently handed her my eldest sister. "Aren't you a darling?" She cooed. "Yes, you are." "Give her to her Grandpa now, Magnolia." Oren said, blinking away tears. She passed Laurel on to him. "Our first grandchild." He said proudly.

"Let us hold her." Cypress said. Oren gave the baby to her. "A little Princess." Cypress breathed. She gently handed her to Malus. "She's even more beautiful than you, Rowan." He said teasingly. My father laughed. "Of course. She takes after her mother."

Ivy blushed even more as Malus and Cypress laughed. Cypress said, "Well, of course. If the child took after you it would be a disaster." "Mother!" Rowan said, though he was laughing as well.

"Now, we must warn you." Magnolia said. "You appear to have many friends and well-wishers who would like to see the future Queen, so be prepared to be awake till tomorrow morning, perhaps even later."

"Many elves are here to see you. I know you must be tired, but bear with them." Malus said, passing Laurel back to Rowan. "Goodbye." Cypress said, as they walked out.

Once the door closed, Ivy's face fell. "Row, what if I'm a terrible mother?" She asked, her eyes downcast. Rowan lifted her chin up gently. "I'm sure you will be a fantastic mother. Now let's brace ourselves for the onslaught of elves."

This made Ivy laugh, and together, they faced the door, their first child safely sleeping in their arms.

And the scene faded to black.