Chapter 51

"Yes, I know soldiers who will be more than happy to join us." Maple said patiently.

We (as in Birch, Aiden, Arden, Maple and I) were now standing in front of the leaders of both the rebel camps, including Bluebell Winters, Zinnia Aster, Jarred and Sage Cottonwood and Sir Sorrel. Also the leaders of the new camp- a pretty blond woman with purple eyes , named Daphne Collins, a man with very light brown hair and dark green eyes , called Darroch Chaparral, and another man with darker brown hair, close-cropped, and bright green eyes, Erez Lennox.

They were getting all the information they could out of Maple, Aiden, Arden and I, because they had been to the palace, and Maple and I had lived there. But they weren't getting much done. They didn't know how to move forward. To attack the palace, they'd have to send messages to the other rebel camps, organize and plan everything...but they'd still be outnumbered.

"Could you please tell us their names, then, we shall send our spies to recruit them." Daphne said. "But how do you know they won't sell us out?" Aiden said. "Our spies are quite adept at this, you know. We have precautions." Erez said, almost amusedly.

"Alright, I'll tell you their names." Maple said. This was a bit hard on her, since she'd just come back from a very difficult journey, but she seemed to be holding up well. She recited the names of several soldiers in the palace, some who I knew and some who I didn't. Darroch dutifully took down their names.

Finally they dismissed us, but kept Birch with them. To discuss strategy or something. We walked to the edge of the Forest, away from our little camp, to talk in peace.

It was the first time the four of us had been alone anywhere.

It felt somewhat strange, but also right. Like this was how it was meant to be. Maybe because all of us were around the same age, and could understand what the other was going through. I sat next to Maple, while Arden and Aiden watched us from a neighboring tree. It was unnerving just how much they looked alike.

Arden spoke first. "What do you think is going to happen?" My gaze fell to the floor, my hand splayed between fresh grass. "I don't know." "We'll figure something out." Maple said, the eternal optimist. "We hope." The eternal pessimist, Aiden, said.

"Thank you for that vote of confidence." Arden mumbled. "Well? We can't attack. It doesn't matter how strong we are; we will always be outnumbered. Even if we get some extra soldiers." Aiden said, with a quick nod at Maple.

"Everything will be fine." Maple said soothingly, but I didn't trust in that. I, like Aiden, needed proof. And our objective seemed too far away to reach. How could we attack? And kill my mother? About as likely as Aiden waking up early in the morning.

"Well, we can't just give up." Arden said. "I'm not saying we should." Aiden said, softening. "But we should know what's going on." I nodded. "Exactly. They're just getting information from us, and not telling us anything."

Arden glanced between us, clearly surprised to see Aiden and I agreeing on something. He shrugged, and said, "Well, there's nothing we can do." "Maybe if we ask your father, he can tell us something." Maple suggested. "Maybe." Arden agreed, and we lapsed into silence.

We looked up as a girl came in. Fawn. Her auburn hair was tied in a braid, her hazel eyes sparkling. "They're calling you for lunch, guys." "Thanks, Fawn." I said, as she nodded and scurried away. Fawn was about a year younger than us, only fifteen, but she seemed much younger.She had so much hope that things could be better, even though she was born in a rebel camp, constantly in danger. Danger that came from my mother.

She had to be stopped. She was ruining our Forest, putting threatening shadows on elves like Fawn, who deserved to live full lives, not go through attacks on their home and running for their life from place to place.

We had to stop her. And we would.