Ruined Plans and Disposed Waste

~10 June 1843~

The next morning, I'm woken up early. Dalgliesh doesn't comment on my tear stained face or rumpled dress as we make our way back to his office.

"Lillian, I have something very important for you to do today. It's crucial to my plan." I sit, slumped in the chair, too tired and miserable to care that much. My dreams last night were filled with Rick running through the halls, searching for me, only when he found me, he left without taking me home. Dalgliesh was whispering "he loves you, he loves you, he loves you," over and over, but he didn't. He didn't want me.

"Lillian, I need you to pay attention." Yawning, I sit up and look at him. He's stuffing the letter I wrote into an envelope that I penned Rick's name on. He holds it out to me, and when I don't move to take it, he shakes it in my face.

"What's going on?" I ask, snatching the envelope.

"Today is the day you deliver the ransom." He declares.

"Me? You want me to deliver the ransom?" What kind of stupid plan is that?

"Yes."

I agree to this plan readily. If this moron doesn't think I'm not just going to stay with Rick instead of coming back, I'm not sure what kind of genius the world thinks he is.

He preps me on what to do, where to bring it, and what to say if I see anyone. Considering the sun won't be up for at least three more hours, no one should be working in the Empire House yet, but Dalgliesh wants to be prepared. He shows me the secret passage I'm to hide in after I deliver the letter and where to go after that.

"All right, Lillian. You're ready. You may go now."

I nod and just as I'm about to walk out the side door, he gasps theatrically.

"Oh, wait. One more thing I forgot to mention."

I turn around, and he nods to someone in a corner. A large man holds my terrified son in his arms. A filthy gag is shoved in his mouth and tears fall down his face. When he see's me, his eyes widen and he struggles to get to me.

"Carter!" I gasp. I rush towards him, but Dalgliesh steps in front of me. I try to push around him, but he grabs my shoulders and holds me back.

"If you don't do exactly as I say, this child will not survive the day." He says in a low voice. I look up into his eyes and see a calculating coldness that lets me know he's serious. He doesn't care about my son, Carter means nothing to him.

I gulp and nod. My whole plan was just ruined.

"If you come back after doing the necessary things, he will be sent back to your sister's place where we got him, and no one will ever know he was missing. If you don't do as I say..." He trails off and pushes his tailcoat back, revealing a gun in his pocket. I close my eyes and clutch the letter.

"I'll do what you say, Lord Dalgliesh, just please. Don't hurt him, okay?"

"Go on, Lillian, and we'll see what the rest of the morning brings."

I look at Carter, and pain flashes in his eyes when I start walking away.

"It'll be okay, baby. I promise." I blow him a kiss, then turn away and walk towards the Empire House. I pull my cloak around me, drawing the hood over my face so if anyone see's me, they won't recognize me. I walk up the steps and open the door. It's unlocked, just like Dalgliesh said it would be.

The foyer is empty. No one is bustling about, Sallow face isn't sitting at the desk. Not taking the time to look around, I head up the stairs.

My heart beats rapidly in my chest each step I take. Before, I was hoping I would bump into Rikkard. I know he often spends early mornings at the office. Now that Carter is in the picture, I hope no one is here, and I can leave the envelope on his desk and get out.