The Ball

~2 June 1843~

I turn and walk to the carriage my husband is currently sitting in.

"I'm surprised, Rick, that you didn't get the little black chaise out for such an occasion as this."

Silence.

He knocks on the roof of the carriage, and it lurches forward.

"I didn't think you'd use this carriage without the children. I know how you detest the luxurious spaciousness and cloth seats and the fact that it frugally requires four wheels instead of two, but-"

Rick leans over to me and places his face near my ear. His arms cage me in, his hands on either side of me against the carriage walls, trapping me in the corner. I shiver, unable to keep myself in control around this man.

"Next time you accept an invitation from a man who isn't me, you might want to check that he's in the country before you say yes."

I blink a couple times.

Damn. He heard us.

"N-next time Ella and I t-try to fool you, we-we'll be quieter." I inform him in a super controlled voice because he doesn't affect me at all. Nope, not one bit.

Rick brings his face close to my ear and I shiver. It must have gotten cold all of a sudden...

"Oh, I didn't hear you two giggling about it. I make it my business to keep track of all the men interested in you." He leaves a trail of kisses along my jaw. Something about this rings a bell, but I honestly can't concentrate on anything else besides his breath on my face. "I get updates on the Captain more frequently than his mother." He moves his kisses down my neck. This really isn't fair.

"W-why do you care what Carter does?" My voice sounds breathy and I hate it.

"I don't." His hands run appreciatively over the bare shoulders of my lavender gown. The sleeves hang off my shoulders, held up not by the little loops of fabric, but from the corset that also brings a very womanly piece of anatomy into view.

His hands move towards that anatomy, hovering lightly over them and I whimper. That's so un-feminist, Lilly. Pull yourself together.

"I don't care what he does, I care about what he does concerning you." His lips land on the corner of my mouth. "You're mine, and mine only." He claims my lips, pushing my mouth apart so he can gain entrance.

I don't pay attention to anything except how nice this feels until Rick pulls away. That's when I realize the footman is standing at the door, red faced and looking at the floor, waiting for us to notice him. Keeping my head high, I exit the carriage, ignoring his outstretched hand.

Rick walks past me, and I try to hurry up. I grab his arm and pull him to my side, making him slow down so I can keep pace in my high heel slippers.

Once we walk up the steps, I catch a glimpse of my face in the glass.

"God, Rick, I look like a common trollop." I touch my swollen lips. I look like I was just thoroughly ravished.

You were, Lilly. That's exactly why you look like that.

Shut up.

Rick looks at me, half proud, half looking like he wants to find an empty room and keep going.

The herald announces us, "Mr and Mrs Rikkard Ambrose." And the ballroom stops, just like it always used to when my husband and some girl showed up at a ball. Only this time, I'm the woman on his arm. I smile at the room.