Chapter 9: The Blood

"What are you talking about?" Zach responded in a snippy voice.

"Get away from me," Kathrine's voice was changing from a whisper to almost a scream. Her bottom lip was starting to quiver. Trauma and nerves come together, and she couldn't get the image of that night out of her head.

"Just trust me. Look," Zach said as he reached into his pockets and emptied them. He opened his hands to show her... empty. Nothing. "I don't want to hurt you. I can't hurt you. We're here to look for Derrick's stuff. We need to get in his car. Why would I do this?"

Kathrine froze... not knowing what Zach's intentions were. She thought of how things were back in Florida. She thought she had gotten away from the sudden anxiety attacks... but it looked like they were back.

"Breathe. In and out. In and out," he told her.

She looked around... nothing. He didn't have anything to hurt her with, and she had to trust someone, even if she didn't believe it.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too. It's okay," Zach apologized. He wasn't quite sure what he did to cause this, but he still wanted to say sorry.

"Do you still want to dig around in his car?" Kathrine asked.

He paused... "If you still want to..." he said, hoping she still wanted to, too.

"Yeah, sure."

They bent over as they got closer to Derrick's house. There was only one light on inside... the TV. The different colors of light and constant change was unpredictable, but it wasn't anywhere near bright enough to see Kathrine and Zach.

They crept to the door. Please, you're pretty dumb, Derrick ... don't tell me you locked your car, Kathrine thought. She coiled her fingers around the cold door handle.

Click.

The metal separated and revealed the interior. The light turned on, and Kathrine slammed her hand on the roof, searching for the switch to turn it off. Zach was on the other side of the car, looking through the passenger side window. His side was locked.

"Here." Kathrine hit the unlock button after turning the lights off.

"Wait, I'm not sure what I'm looking for..." Zach said.

"A crowbar," she swallowed her fear, "It was a crowbar."

Kathrine started digging in the console between the seats while Zach dug into the glove department.

"Ew," she said.

"What is it?"

"Snot rags. Ugh," she shook her hand away.

Zach started laughing, then looked up at the house. Too loud, he thought.

Kathrine turned and starting looking in the backseat, "I hate this car."

She started feeling around in the seats, then to the floorboard. Her fingers ran over the carpet. A bottle. A bag. Then, something metal... she grabbed the cold object and pulled it closer to the window, using the moonlight to see.

"Oh, my God."

A crowbar. Not just any crowbar. A crowbar covered in dry blood.

*If you enjoyed this chapter, please click on the star to vote. This would really help me out! Thanks!