Detective Chris Mayfield

I needed to put a name to my savior.   I just thanked Chris for saving me.  It was the entire department but he was the one close to me.  The one helping me personally.   

After the day I spent at my uncles empty home, which I spent just packing my stuff.  I didn't even sleep.  

I heard a knock on the door.  I had this feeling it was Dennis.   I answered it.  I opened the door and let out a sigh of relief as I saw that it wasn't Dennis.  It was Chris. 

"Hi.  Uhm come in." I said and he entered and looked around. 

"Imma sorry you had to stay here for the night.  All our resources are tied up.   At least you got to pack your stuff." He said nodding toward the bag and suitcase.   I nodded.  

"Yeah.  At least I get to get all my stuff.  Wear my own clothes." He nodded.

"Let's me grab those for you.  The safe house is ready." He said and went for my bags.  I let him take them to his car.   I waited awkwardly until he told me to follow him.  I followed.   He opened the car door.

"Thanks." I mumbled and got into he front passenger seat. 

"How did you sleep."

"I didnt." I said quietly and sighed.  I was tired but Dennis could find me if he got out.   "Why don't you have a police car?" I asked.   I needed to change the subject.  

"I'm a detective.  I get to drive my own car.  Also it's better to transfer witnesses in.   Attracts less attention."   He said driving to godown knows where.  I stared out the window most of the way.   "Would you like to stop and get something to eat?  We are still twenty minutes from the safe house."

"Yeah.  I haven't eaten in a couple days actually.  My appetite finally was catching up to me." The detective was nice.   I feel like not many cops would carry your stuff or buy you food.    God I just realized how hungry I was.   

He went threw a drive threw a day ordered us burgers fries and shakes.    He pulled off somewhere to park.   He actually parked near a lake so we had a view.   We sat in the car and started to eat.  It was quiet at first.    Until I spoke. 

"What happens if I need food? Or like money.  Do I just stay in the safe house all the time? I've done that before.  I don't like it. "

"I'm your handler.  You will get a phone and my contact will be in it.   If you need money or groceries I can take you or you can walk, but yeah we give you an allowance.  100$ a week.   If you need more or something comes up then contact me and I'll see what I can do.   If you need someoen to drive you somewhere, I do that.  If you need a friend to talk to I can be there or we can get you a counselor and I can bring you there or bring the counselor to you.   Basically I am your right hand man." He smiled brightly.

Honestly he made me feel safe.   I wouldn't mind having him around to protect me.  Especially since he had that gun on his hip. 

Also damn this burger is so good.