Asleep

I'm in the woods.   I'm about five now.  So little and so innocent.  My uncle offered to take me out shooting while my dad work.   My dad let him.   He took me into the woods.   He was mad about me pointing my gun at him earlier in the week, I was mad he made me play his games.   I was so small and scared.   My uncle was twice the size of my dad.   I was also afraid he would tell my dad.  Tell him I've been bad, I just didn't want to play.   

He walked me through the woods.   Deeper and deeper.   He had a tent set up already but we walked passed it.

"Where are we going?" I asked.  

"Shut up." He replied.   His gun was bigger than mine.  He held it with one hand while I marched with two on mine.   I sniffled, I wanted to cry, but I know that makes him mad. 

He marched me far and my little legs grew tired. 

"Stand there.   Put your gun down." I did as I was told.   He pointed his gun down at me.   "What's happens if I pull the trigger?" He asked

"I die.  Like the deer."  I started to whimper and tears slipped out.   I was sure he was gonna hurt me worse than before.

"Yes Casey.   Now listen.   If you ever point your gun at me.  If you ever tell your daddy the secret games we play I will shoot you, like a deer, my little doe."  He said angrily.  

"I promise I won't tell... I s-swear." I started balling.  

"Okay Casey, I believe you." He said and set the gun against a tree.   "Now be a good girl and take off your jacket...

I felt someone shake me and I woke up.   I was still in that room.  I was still at his house.  I looked up and thought I'd find Hedwig.   After I woke up before as his little spoon I wouldn't be suprised.  

"You're having a nightmare.   You seemed to be in distress.   Is there anything I can get you?" A monotone voice asked.   I knew it wasn't harmless Hedwig.  Well harmless as long as he doesn't have a bat.    It was Dennis.  I remember now Hedwig told me he watches me sleep.    I sat up. 

"No thank you.  I'm fine." I said in a groggy voice.   I was thankful he woke me from that painful memory.  Less thankful he was there still.   He sat at the edge of the better.  Carefully trying not to wrinkle his clothes to much.   I know I have to act nice.  I have to behave in order to survive.  

"Okay." He said and stroked my hair.   I laid back down and peeked through almost shut eyes.  He got up.  He went back to his seat in front of my bed and wiped it off.  He tugged at his pants to adjust them before he sat down.   Knowing he was there made it harder for me to sleep.   I must have been awake for a majority of the night.  He never left while I was awake.  I kept my eyes closed but never heard him.   My hearing started to fade and my focus disappeared as I slipped back into sleep. 

I dreamed of the monster at the end of the bed.