The Pawn | Chapter Seventeen [Isolophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Seventeen]

--------------------------------------------------------

Isolophobia- Fear of solitude, being alone

---------------------------------------------------------

Lisa stuffed one gun in the back of her pants and pulled out a phone. "Now!" she hissed, giving the order for her people to attack the rest of the group in the conference room.

I couldn't help but let a sob escape my lips as I pictured Jay's face again and the blood beneath his fingers. I could still hear the pop of the gun and smell the residue smoke. I had no idea what the fate of the rest of my friends was, but it didn't seem too favorable. At this point, I didn't even care what torture Lisa had for me; nothing would be as horrible and painful as watching Jay die.

The tears continued to stream down my face as Lisa dragged me into an empty room. She threw me into a chair, cursing under her breath as she clutched her shoulder. "Bastard shot me," she snarled to herself. I watched through bleary eyes as she ripped a piece of cloth off her shirt and tied it under her arm and around her shoulder, staunching the flow of blood for now.

"You deserved it," I said in a low voice.

Lisa slapped me almost seconds after the words left my mouth. "Shut up. He's dead now so I don't really care."

Angry tears welled in my eyes, but I refused to let her get to me. My plan was to irritate her to the point of irrationality. If she let anger rule over her plans to torture me, maybe I could distract her enough to fight her. Because there was no way in hell I was going to die without a fight. I was going to do my best to kill her, for Jay, for my father and for all of the people she had messed with. If I had my way, Lisa was never going to hurt another person. If I had to die in the process, then so be it.

"No," I said in a low voice. "I'm not going to shut up. I don't understand what happened to you, why are you so angry?"

Lisa gave me a look, clearly thinking me an idiot. "Why do you think? This whole corporation is the reason why my mother is dead."

"She's my mother too," I said softly. "NANO was doing the right thing in going after mother because of the group she worked for. It wasn't NANO's fault for her death; it was her own fault, or rather, White Fire's fault. I know that's not what you want to hear, nor are you going to believe me, but this," I gestured around the room, "this is just ridiculous. You are killing innocent people and endangering your own people in the process. Is it really worth it?"

Throughout my mini speech Lisa watched me through narrowed eyes, and I could sense her anger mounting. When I paused to give her a chance to respond, she took a step towards me and grabbed the collar of my shirt. "Did you just ask me if it's really worth it?" she hissed. She gave a bitter laugh before continuing, "Of course it is, you idiot! Everything I've done up to this point was for this exact moment. I'm finally avenging mother's death and helping her cause in the process. Do I care that she gave birth to you too? No. As far as I'm concerned you were just part of the job and a mistake. There's too much of Dennis in you for you to have any worth."

"He wasn't responsible for mother's death," I said emotionlessly. "He loved her, for whatever reason, you have to believe that."

Lisa waved a hand, "Whether he did or not doesn't matter. He was an indirect cause of her death, but a cause nonetheless. Now, enough of this incessant chit-chat, it's time I tortured you." She grinned wickedly, and pulled a knife out of her waistband. "Aren't you excited," she taunted, rubbing the flat side of the blade against my cheek, "This is the last time you'll be tortured by me...because you'll be dead by the end."