The Pawn | Chapter Twelve [Philophobia]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Twelve]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Philophobia- Fear of falling in love or being in love

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Four hours and forty-three minutes later my watch's alarm went off.

"M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. MICKEY MOUSE! Donald duck! MICKEY MOUSE! Donald duck..." Blushing, I hit the button and looked sheepishly at Jay. He was tensed and had both hands fisted. I noticed that he had one foot placed in front of the other, as if he was ready to fight someone. "Eh he he..." I chuckled nervously, "sorry about that. I set my alarm so that I'd know when to stop working out. The doctor told me to not overwork myself..."

He still looked suspicious. Curse him for being so smart. Convincing him otherwise was going to take some work. Why did I have to fall for the smart guy? It would be so much easier if he was just a little slow, but Jay seemed to catch everything. Guess that came with being a government agent.

"I'll pretend to believe that for now," he said in a deadpan voice. "Since you're done working out, what would you like to do now?"

Putting on an innocent face, I smiled slightly and asked, "Can we go to the computer room?"

"Why?" Jay demanded quickly. Man, I felt like I was under interrogation. Seriously, his eyes were boring into my head, as if he was trying to read my mind.

Frowning, I tried to look confused as I answered, "To check my email. Well, and FaceSpace, of course. It's been ages since I've been able to." I worried my lip between my teeth, "Is that okay with you? I'm sorry that you have to chaperone me everywhere."

"Since when do you ask so politely for something? Or apologize for being a pain in the ass?" Jay asked. "Not that I miss your attitude or lack of manners, but there is something very suspicious about you."

I rolled my eyes and headed out of the gym, "Gee, thanks for the compliment, Jay."

He snorted and I heard him start to follow me. "Like you need to inflate your ego anymore," I heard him mutter. I sighed inwardly, hoping Jay would just go with the flow for once. I didn't need him to begin to suspect me or watch my every move. It was bad enough that I was still required to have a chaperone wherever I went and that the whole tech team needed to be present when I went on a computer. I mean, Kudos to Faux for being that smart and thorough, but it was a pain in my ass. It made everything more complicated, luckily, not impossible though. Speaking of the tech team...

"Do you need to call ahead to make sure Ted and his team of techies are there?" Stupid Faux and his stupid rules. With all of the computer guys watching my every move it would be nearly impossible to pull something, but I wasn't going to give up just yet.

Jay pulled out his phone and motioned for me to keep walking. "Hey Ted," he said into the phone. "Ains and I are coming to the computer room, are all your men there?" He paused and pushed the button for the elevator. "Yes, Faux's orders. Thank you Ted, see you soon." He hung up the phone with a decisive click and glanced at me. "It's your lucky day. They're all there, ready to watch your every movement."

We stepped into the elevator and I shook my head as the doors closed. "Do you have a problem with me, or something? I mean, usually you're a bit cold towards me, but you've never been this snappy before. Did I do something wrong?"