Chapter 10: David

"Didn't I tell you to get ready for bed?" Her mother poked her head out of her bedroom door.

"No," Vermon made a face. "I thought I saw something." She moved her hand off of the floor. Her mother walked into Vermon's room and stared at the floor. "Get up, David called."

"From the church?" Vermon asked.

"Yes, he wants to see you tomorrow morning. Something about talking to his dead friend."

"Alright and what about school?" Vermon asked.

Jacqueline took a deep breath. "The parents of the students signed a petition. They've removed you from school."

Vermon smiled. "How delightful," she stood up and faced her mother.

She smiled at her daughter. "Don't worry, with all this money we're going to make, we can buy you a private teacher." She took her daughter's hand and walked her over to the bed. "Now, get some rest. We have a big day tomorrow." Vermon climbed into the bed and watched as her mother turned off the light then left her room.

***

David grabbed his hundredth tissue from the box and patted his eyes dry. The sobbing didn't seem to ease up and Vermon was losing patience. Good thing the weather had been a little warmer and the sky less gloomy than the usual. Jacqueline patted David on the back and told him that he could speak whenever he's ready.

Death wasn't kind. Vermon knew that. It snatched where it could, taking people who were far too young, far too good. It didn't pretend to care, it didn't pretend to distinguish. As she stood in the graveyard waiting for David to finish his crying she couldn't help but think about death. Lately, it's seemed to have followed her everywhere. It scared her. Was this life's way of telling her she's next? Was something coming for her?

"Okay, Vermon," David sniffed. He stood up and took Vermon's hand. David was a black man with skin as smooth as ever. He was built thick and had big muscles. Any random child would be afraid to talk to him or have him hold his hand. But Vermon wasn't scared. She looked right into his eyes. She could see a broken man.

"David?" she said. "We can start when you're ready."

David nodded. "Yes. Of course," He let go of her hand and took a deep breath. "His name is Joseph. Ask him if he forgives me. Tell him I'm sorry."

Vermon placed her hand on the ground. The gust of wind that lifted Vermon's hair frightened David, making him take a step back. "Joseph?" she said.

"Hello!" the voice said in a happy tone. Vermon smiled at his tone of excitement.

"I have a message for you from David."

"..." there was a long silence. "What is it?"

"He asks for your forgiveness. He says he's sorry."

"Forgive and forget."

Vermon looked at David. "He said forgive and forget."

David smiled. "He used to always say that," he placed his hand over his heart. "Tell him I miss him."

"He says he misses you," Vermon said.

"I miss him too. Tell him I said to watch the road next time!"

Vermon faced David. "Watch the road next time."

"I will," David said wiping his tears away." David wiped more tears and cried a little bit more, only this time he was smiling hrough the tears. "Thank you so much, Vermon." he lowered his hat and gestured his head at Vermon. "That was spectacular."

"No problem," Vermon replied.

David cleared his throat and took out a paper. "Here's a check for 200 dollars," he handed it to Vermon's mother then placed his hat back over his head. "Farewell to you both."