Chapter 22...

Semi Edited

Cover on the side sent to me by @nerdkiddo . I love it!! Thank you <3

Song on the side is....Still Breathing by Mayday Parade. I think it fits Gage really well!

Gage's POV

The rest of the week after going to the Empire State Building with Carter I couldn't get her out of my mind. The image of her leaning over the side of the building with the wind in her hair was something that I could erase from my mind and I didn't want to either.

What scared me the most is that I was starting to feel something towards her. Something other than hatred or annoyed at her. She sure knew how to make someone like her. Carter had this innocence about her that just drew you in and made you want to learn more about her.

For someone that came from money she wasn't like those snotty bratty girls I went to high school with. The girls or even guys that thought they were all that because they could afford the newest iPhone. I of course knew her father was Ashton Miller, the most well known business man in New York. And of course her mother who is a famous author.

When I first met her I had no clue who she was and honestly didn't care but when Dylan came home telling me all about how he met the Carter Miller. He made it seem like she was someone famous. When I realized it was the same girl he was talking about I did judge her. It was wrong of me to do so but I couldn't help it. Having grown up with people 'like' her I thought she would be the same, now that I know her though she isn't. Carter is far from one of those snotty, bratty kids.

I sighed looking down at my phone. I was looking down at the picture Carter had taken of both us on top of the Empire State Building. When I took her phone I quickly sent it to me, I had no idea why. I had just found myself grabbing her phone and sending it to me. It was a great picture too.

The wind had blown perfectly in that moment where it lifted the stray ends of Carter's hair away from her face. A wide smile was spread across her face as she stared into the camera. My own face had a soft smile on it as I gazed down at her. I hadn't even realized I was looking at her when she took the picture.

I almost didn't want to admit it but I had a great time. Who knew sneaking inside the Empire State Building and going to the top would be so fun. I could tell Carter was nervous at first but when we did get up there the smile on her face was worth it all.

As I was looking at the photo my phone started vibrating and the picture disappeared showing a familiar number. Smiling I swiped to answer.

"Hi grandma." I said into the phone.

"How's my favorite grandson doing?" My grandma Rose asked.

"Grandma I'm your only grandson." I replied the smile on my face growing as I heard my favorite person's voice.

My grandma Rose and I were really close. After my mothers death when I was 14 I moved in with my grandma. She took me in when there was no one else and to this day I still couldn't thank her enough. With my father out of the picture since I was little I had no one but my grandma. She always made sure I made it to school on time, that I did my homework, did my chores, and keep me out of trouble; although that didn't work all the time.

At the time I went to live with my grandma, and afterwards, I was in a bad place. The death of my mother was too much for my younger self and I couldn't stop myself from acting out. During school I'd pick fights with anyone and everyone, I'd ditch to smoke out back with the other junkies in the school. I was severely moody and rarely listened but my grandma helped me through it. She accepted me even after all the things I did. While she did scold me she wasn't too rough about it and let me learn from my mistakes.