Chapter Seventy-Four

Karina

The small house Simar had been lodged in was fairly stark. Used by the Council to host visitors to Gregorn, it was only fitted with the basic necessities one might need to live. Even compared to her three days hiding in Manna's cabin in the woods, the space felt lonely and barren. The High Priestesses' presence did little to alleviate her feelings of isolation. Simar barely spoke to her at all, aside from giving her clipped commands at the start of each day of the tasks she expected completed, before busying herself with, what Karina imagined, were important works.

Karina had tried to stay out of trouble in the days since the sentencing, following the High Priestess's instruction without question.

"I am a fair woman," Simar had told her, "and I will act as your teacher, providing all the knowledge you will need to take on your new role among our people. But I expect respect and absolute obedience in return. You must never forget that the Council would not have spared your life without my advisement. It would take little for them to turn against you again."

"I understand, Priestess," Karina had answered. And she did understand. The threat in the woman's words was not subtle. If Karina did not do as she was told, if she disappointed the High Priestess in anyway, she might find herself once again at the mercy of the Council without the benefit of the Initiate to support her. With Fiona gone, and Manna sentenced to soon join her in death, Karina had no other allies. Still it was not an easy task to please Simar Temdin. Though she did her best to prove the knowledge and skills Manna had taught her, Karina's best efforts seemed to already fall short.

"I suppose it can't be helped that there are gaps in your training," The High Priestess commented when Karina failed to properly recite properly a list of herbs associated with the element of air. "Still," she added, with a frown. "There is truly no excuse for your inability to recite basic herbal knowledge. Surely Manna taught you better."

Karina had been filled with shame mixed with a hint of anger. She was doing everything she could to please the High Priestess, yet it seemed the Simar would be happy with nothing but perfection. It was impossible that she might satisfy such lofty standards. 

Still, Karina knew the woman was right. The few mistakes she had made were careless ones, and Simar had every right to be disappointed in her. Karina realized that if she was to truly take on the role of Nita, as expected, she would have to do better.

The High Priestess had made it quite clear that the tasks and tests of knowledge she gave now were of the most basic sort. She would, no doubt, have far more difficult studies to complete once she reached Sithrah. But it was hard to focus on much of anything, let alone the recitation of meaningless lists. Though she tried to reign in her mind to concentrate on the priestess's demands, Karina could not help but think of her teacher. Simar planned for them to leave before the execution, and Manna only had four days left.

The idea still seemed impossible. Her teacher couldn't possibly die at the hands of her own people. But Karina knew that her own denial would not save Manna from her fate. Simar had made it clear that nothing could override the Council's decision. Karina wondered if she would be allowed to see her teacher before they left, though she didn't dare ask. The High Priestess had told her clearly she was not to speak of the Elder Nita. This did nothing to quell her fears.

 If her teacher was free now, Karina could not help but wonder why did she not come to them? Did Manna blame her for what had happened? At the assembly she had told her to stay strong, she had assured Karina that none of this was her fault. The woman had even smiled. But how could any of her comforting words have been truthful?