Chapter Fifteen

Author's Note: So...to make up for last week's late post I decided to do a second update this week:-) Fiona leaves the city and tries to make sense of her audience with the Prince...Enjoy!

-----------

Fiona

Fiona remained extremely conscious of the unresponsive men who had escorted her from Salam Palace. She was almost certain she would have safe passage from the Palace complex, but she couldn't be sure. She had spent the long walk down the corridor past the tortuous labyrinth of rooms, keeping her eyes fixed on her escort's weapons while simultaneously concentrating on the only defense she had. Fiona could feel the power pulsating through her staff in rhythm with her beating heart. As both men were armed with swords and two single shot pistols apiece, she knew it would do little good against the amount of force they would use to retaliate. It was unfortunate she'd been unable to bring another weapon to better defend herself if the need arose.

She tried to evaluate the meeting in her mind. There was no question she had learned a great deal more about their new potential king, there was that at least, although she could not report a favorable impression to the Council. The Council. She almost shuddered to imagine what Avery would think of her account of the Prince and the words that had passed between them. Fiona wondered if the meeting had ultimately gone predictably, even though she'd certainly hoped for a less contentious exchange. But from the moment she'd received the Prince's note Fiona had been reserved in her expectations for her journey to the Capitol, and fully aware that this "peaceful meeting" could be a mere front for more insidious intent. 

That had of course been one of the Council's main objections with her decision to accept the Prince's invitation, the prospect of potential danger. 'Do not invite trouble,' that was the perpetual motto of the Elder Council, and they'd likely judge that, in talking to the Price, she had done just that. But as they dug their heads in the sand, the Council failed to realize that the trouble had already begun long ago and no amount of denial could change that. Their failing relations with the Crown and the King's persecution against the Senmin could not be ignored. Even if she had refused to journey to Auresir, there was no guarantee that the Senmin would have not have offended the Prince more than she had in their less than amicable dialogue. Still, the man's final words continued to echo in her ears.

            I do hope the God grants you safe passage home 

            Henry had undoubtedly intended his tone to put her on edge, but Fiona resolved to remain calm and not let her thoughts be clouded by such mind games. She had always recognized a vague possibility that she would find her life at risk in journeying to Auresir. She had calculated that the risk was minimal, and nothing crucial had changed. Henry did not have nearly as much power within the city as he pretended. Nonetheless, as she felt her hand tiring from her tight-fisted grip on her staff, Fiona knew some part of her wished that she had, in fact listened to the Council's initial advice and respectfully declined Henry's invitation entirely.

            It seemed clear now that the reports of the Prince's provocative nature and over-confident demeanor were not exaggerated. She'd learned that much at least, and was glad she'd taken advantage of the chance to assess Henry herself. But Fiona was greatly disappointed to see any optimism she'd held that the Senmin's position in the Empire might improve under Fredrick's heir had so quickly been dashed. She'd hoped the future King might become an ally to her people but now Fiona was fairly certain that she could only hope that the Henry would not become an outright enemy. She thought of the whispers that Fredrick never intended for his son to return from battle alive. Perhaps rumors that suggested the King was still searching for another heir would prove true and the Prince would never gain the crown. Either way, it seemed the Senmin would be waiting quite some time before a truly sympathetic leader once again took the throne.